We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best route (and things to see on the way) from NYC?

Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
best route (and things to see on the way) from NYC?

Hi all

I'll be traveling early Oct from NYC with a family member who is looking at colleges and we are stopping at Hartwick College. I've never been to this part of NY and I figured there might be a few places worth stopping to visit along the way. Any advice or recommendations are appreciated!

3 replies to this topic
Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
10,988 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best route (and things to see on the way) from NYC?

Cooperstown (Fenimore Art Museum, Farmers Museum, Glimmerglass Opera, Ommegang Brewery and the Baseball HOF)

Howes Caverns, Secret Caverns, Iroquois Museum (all within close proximity of each other in the Cobleskill area)

Hanford Mills Museum (East Meredith, near Oneonta).

There is also the state museum in Albany which is well worth checking out if you haven't been.

Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: best route (and things to see on the way) from NYC?

Thanks very much! I see a couple of different routes from NYC -- seems like you can continue interstate 87 up to route 28 or branch off earlier onto route 6. Do you recommend one over the other in terms of scenery and places to stop along the way? We won't the in a rush so the extra time won't matter

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
10,988 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best route (and things to see on the way) from NYC?

I am not familiar with a straightforward route from what I assume is US 6; which I think goes through NJ then definitely through PA south of the Delaware River as it heads west after passing through the lower part of NYS closer to NYC. You could head north and cross the river at some point but the route to Oneonta and Cooperstown would be convoluted IMO.

The NY-28 route is nice; it will take you through the Catskills once it leaves the Hudson Valley. It takes you directly to both Oneonta and Cooperstown.

Reply to: best route (and things to see on the way) from NYC?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted