We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving Nairobi to Voi - times etc

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
392 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Driving Nairobi to Voi - times etc

Hi,

Has anyone got any advice on a realistic driving time from Nairobi - probaby near Galleria/Karen - to Voi??

This would be either a Sunday leaving mid-day ish or a Monday morning in January.

In a full size 4x4.

I have driven previously in Kenya; up to the Rift Valley lakes (Nakuru, Baringo etc) and back out of the Rift from the Mara. In my experience driving in Kenya can take a lot longer than the distance would suggest due to traffic etc, certainly in comparison with some other African countries.

Any ideas anyone??

TVM......

Mentioned in this post
Kenya
Kenya
Africa
Nakuru
Nakuru
Rift Valley Province, Kenya
6 replies to this topic
Nairobi, Nairobi...
Level Contributor
277 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving Nairobi to Voi - times etc

I would say realistically, its between 5-6 hrs due to the number of trucks on that highway.

Have a safe trip !

Salford, United...
Level Contributor
3,244 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving Nairobi to Voi - times etc

Yes, I agree, particularly coming from Karen. Sunday mornings are arguably the better time to travel, as people go to church and the roads are quiet. After lunch on Sunday, there may be lots of traffic - people returning from weekend away - more may be headed towards Nairobi, though.

If you leave on a Monday, it might well take an hour or two to get out of Nairobi.

Mentioned in this post
Voi, Kenya
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving Nairobi to Voi - times etc

Takes around 5 hrs with a possible 30min stop-over at Mtito-Andei. I use the route at night mostly as most trucks travel during the day. During the day probably an hour or less more. my timing doesn't include from Karen to the city center.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
392 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving Nairobi to Voi - times etc

Thanks for the advice..........

Salford, United...
Level Contributor
3,244 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving Nairobi to Voi - times etc

I wouldn't recommend travelling at night. It's when the majority of accidents occur. You may come across vehicles stalled in the middle of the road....unlit, vehicles travelling without working tail lights, people running across the road, cyclists and motorbikes travelling the wrong way, etc. Added to which, many drivers here refuse to dip their headlights. It all makes for a hair raising and risky experience!

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
392 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving Nairobi to Voi - times etc

No way would I consider travelling at night!

Reply to: Driving Nairobi to Voi - times etc
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tsavo