We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting David Sheldrick Elephant Orphanage

London, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Visiting David Sheldrick Elephant Orphanage

Have been trying to find out if tourists can visit the orphaned toddlers in both Tsavo East and West and where the best places to stay in both are.

Bedfordshire England
Level Contributor
174 posts
8 reviews
1. Re: Visiting David Sheldrick Elephant Orphanage

You can only visit if you have adopted one of the elephants. If you have adopted one, just email Sheldrick with your requested date and they will send you a letter of introduction.

You will need to stay very near to Voi in Tsavo East. Voi Sfari Lodge is probably the best as it is quite close to the orphanage.

edinburgh
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
272 reviews
2. Re: Visiting David Sheldrick Elephant Orphanage

We have sponsored many orphans over the years' and have to choose others as they are sent back to the bush after they get older and fend for themselves.

You will have to have a certificate of the orphan - we usually buy the big package and used to get a video but don't seem to do that now and if visiting at Voi make sure that the elephant you sponserare at these stockades.

We normally stay at Voi safari lodge as about ten minutes away from the orphans and visit them coming home at night and the keepers let me feed the babies with their milk bottles.

I f you need any contacts and phone numbers and the person that sends the letter of authorisation - you will have to state the exact day/s you will be going -she thens gets in touch with Dame Daphne who signs the letter and you will have to have a private van as others will not be allowed to go if sharing a van.

London, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: Visiting David Sheldrick Elephant Orphanage

Thank you so much for this info, very helpful. My sister and I between us sponsored 3 orphans when we visited the orphanage in Nairobi last month and as they will be leaving for Tsavo soon we were hoping to visit them there next year.

Chichester, West...
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
4. Re: Visiting David Sheldrick Elephant Orphanage

Hi. Do you have to pay to visit the orphanage?

5. Re: Visiting David Sheldrick Elephant Orphanage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 February 2012, 03:15
Get answers to your questions about Tsavo