We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Lodges to stay in on safari?

Portsmouth
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Which Lodges to stay in on safari?

Hallo,

I am going to Kenya in November and have at long last decided to go on safari to Tsvaro and Ambosoli but I just don't know where to stay, can anyone help?

I like the look of Ngulia Safari Lodge and Voi Lodge but would also like to spend a night in a tented camp. There are so many reviews so does anyone have any thoughts on Severin Camp, Aruba/Ashmil, Ndololo Camp or Tarhi camp?

Thanks

Mombasa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Tsavo National Park East
Level Contributor
1,387 posts
108 reviews
1. Re: Which Lodges to stay in on safari?

Plan as follollows:

1. Day Tsavo East Voi Safari Lodge

2. Day Amboseli Kibo Safari Camp

3. Day Tsavo West Ngulia Safari Lodge

and you will have a great trip with all the choices

you would like to have.

mombasa
Level Contributor
43 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Which Lodges to stay in on safari?

day 1-tsavo east you choose voi wildlife lodge.

day 2 tsavo west you choose ngulia safarilodge

day 3 amboseli you choose amboseli sentrim camp

with the above combination you will enjoy and see the value of your money.

regards

alex

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,838 posts
9 reviews
3. Re: Which Lodges to stay in on safari?

A few thoughts

Tsavo West

Ngulia - decent, but very dated, like an old block of flats that somebody thought looked quite cool in 1969, and they bait leopards there, which is very rare these days (not good for the leopards!). Far from everything.

Severin, newish German-owned and run tented camp, and really well done, with good eco-credentials. Lots of wildlife in and around the camp - very exciting. In the heart of the best part of Tsavo West. This is the one of those you mention that I would choose like a shot.

Tsavo East

Voi - big but reliable old lodge, with fabulous views. Again, pretty dated, like Ngulia, but good value.

Ashnil Aruba lodge. Very new, and they should never have been allowed to build this big fenced in lodge right by a beautiful lake. Lots of marabou storks flapping over the garbage at the back. Electric fences and barriers everwhere. Not my cup of tea anyway. They've got a few "tents" but you really aren't camping staying in them.

Tarhi Camp, now Sentrim. Haven't been there, but Sentrim are in it for the money and that's about it. Sentrim Amboseli I thought was pretty terrible, partly perhaps because it's quite new. Lots of concrete everywhere. Zero atmosphere. I might be being very unfair, but I guess Sentrim in Tsavo East is similar?

Ndololo. I haven't been there either. It could be good. http://www.ahotsun.com/ndololo_e.html

Hope that helps,

Richard

4. Re: Which Lodges to stay in on safari?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 March 2010, 05:20
Get answers to your questions about Tsavo