We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report for South Luangwa Park Safari - September 2017

New York
Level Contributor
134 posts
352 reviews
Trip Report for South Luangwa Park Safari – September 2017

This trip to Zambia was the best of our three African safari experiences.

For reference, our past trips included 8 nights in Botswana in 2012 (4 nights with a private guide camping in tents in the Chobe National Park and 4 nights in the luxury of a tented camp in the Okavango) and 8 nights in Tanzania in 2014 (all in tented camps in the Ngorongoro Crater and on the Serengeti chasing the Great Migration). Both trips were amazing.

But, this was the best.

After 3 safaris it is clear for us that it’s not so much about the game, the scenery or the accommodations. It’s about the guide.

We had very good guides in Botswana and Tanzania, but our Zambia guide, Suzyo Zimba, who works for The Bushcamp Company, was over the top.

We stayed at 3 Bushcamp Company camps in South Luangwa Park: Kampamba (2 nights), Chamilandu (2 nights) and Kuyenda (3 nights). All were small (only 6-8 guests) and luxurious. A review of each camp is provided under the respective TA accommodation listing. Our trip organizer, Safari Consultants in the UK, was able to get a discount because we used Bushcamp exclusively.

We retained Suzyo as our private guide for the entire 7 days. This option is more expensive than using the guide at each respective camp, but this way our learning experience was more cumulative vs. the likelihood of repetition by using multiple guides.

Each day began with a quick breakfast at dawn. Suzyo would then drive us to a different destination and we’d get out and walk for about 2 hours in the bush. Zambia is famous for its walking safaris, which are not available in most other countries. We were always accompanied by a Park Ranger carrying a loaded rifle. On the walks Suzyo would explain the “small things” about the bush you can’t learn by sitting in the Land Rover: plants, insects, tracking, etc.

We would return to the camp about 11AM for an excellent lunch after which we would relax in our chalet. In each camp there was always game nearby. On one occasion 3 elephants came right next to our chalet.

At about 3.30PM we would head out in the Land Rover for a game drive. During our week in country we saw leopards 4 times, lions 5 times and hundreds of elephants, giraffe, zebra, antelope, baboons and a wide variety of wonderful birds.

At 6.30, when the sun was setting, we would stop sundowner cocktails and hors d’oeuvres would be served out in the bush. Next would be a night game drive using a high-powered spotlight.

We usually returned about 8.00PM, had more cocktails and then great dinners. The camp manager and our guide always dined with us.

The chalets were relatively open to the environment, so there is a night watchman to make sure there are no intruding animals. That said, we could hear animals passing through the camp at night.

The weather in September there is perfect: nights go down to about 55º and days maybe 80º to 84º. Zero rain. Blue skies. Amazing sunsets.

We didn’t encounter any insect problems. No flies. No mosquitoes.

Getting to South Luangwa Park takes some effort. We flew overnight from JFK to Heathrow and then took a day room at the Sofitel in terminal 5 to rest a bit because we then took an overnight flight (11 hours) to Johannesburg followed by a 2-hour flight to Lusaka, the capital of Zambia. One could then take Proflight onward to Mfuwe, the starting out point into the park, but we chose to crash for the night at the Taj hotel in Lusaka and then proceed to Mfuwe the following day so we would be rested when we started the safari routine.

13 replies to this topic
london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
5,910 posts
1. Re: Trip Report for South Luangwa Park Safari – September 2017

Great report! Zambia is an often overlooked safari destination, but it's my favourite too.

Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Trip Report for South Luangwa Park Safari – September 2017

CarolynRobb, thank you for sharing the joys of South Luangwa National Park and also of Suzyo. He is a gem.

We enjoyed having him guide for us at Wildlife Camp.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
2,606 posts
349 reviews
3. Re: Trip Report for South Luangwa Park Safari – September 2017

I am so glad to hear about how much you enjoyed your trip to South Luangwa National Park. It's close to being my favorite place in Africa for going on safari. It is up there with the Kwando and Linyati Concessions and the Okavango Delta in Botswana. I've already been there no less than 3 times. I've stayed at Tafika Camp twice, Mwamba Camp twice, Kaingo Camp twice,as well as Shenton Safari's two camps for walking safari; Chikoko Trails and Crocodile River Camp.

I'll be going there again next year. I'll be staying at Bilingumwe Bush Camp, Kuyenda and Chamilandu each for three nights.I'll also be staying overnight at Mfuwe Lodge. I'm of course quite excited about it.

Port Douglas
Level Contributor
3 posts
49 reviews
4. Re: Trip Report for South Luangwa Park Safari – September 2017

Thank you for such a great over view of your safari in Zambia

West Australia
Level Contributor
563 posts
12 reviews
5. Re: Trip Report for South Luangwa Park Safari – September 2017

Suzyo is a fantastic guide. And a real gentleman too. But I have never had a bad guide at the Bushcamp Company.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,688 posts
300 reviews
6. Re: Trip Report for South Luangwa Park Safari – September 2017

OMG,I don't know how I missed this lovely report. Of course Zambia is the best! Well the best sub Saharan country I have ever visited. Long live Suzyo!

Edited: 19 July 2018, 10:09
Inverness-shire
Level Contributor
169 posts
14 reviews
7. Re: Trip Report for South Luangwa Park Safari – September 2017

If possible could you give me an aprox cost of a trip like that ? Myself and my wife have been on safari several times to kenya also Tansania but now would like to go to Zambia South Luangwa. We like tented camps middle range comfort but don't mind . Like you we don't always think it's all about the animals . Thank you for your time . Richard .

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
2,606 posts
349 reviews
8. Re: Trip Report for South Luangwa Park Safari – September 2017

I recently returned from a safari which lasted almost two months. It's the second longest safari which I have ever been on. I also went to Ethiopia and Chad earlier this year on safari. I visited Zambia for the fifth time, Zimbabwe for the fifth, Malawi for the first and Botswana for the fourth. Please contact me if you want me to recommend you a travel agent for South Luangwa National Park. I have already been on no less than 17 safaris in Africa and have already spent well over five years living in Kenya. I have probably spent an entire year of my life on safari.

New York
Level Contributor
134 posts
352 reviews
9. Re: Trip Report for South Luangwa Park Safari – September 2017

We were 7 nights "in country" + 5 nights traveling from/to NYC. The cost of $18,800, all in.

10. Re: Trip Report for South Luangwa Park Safari – September 2017

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 07 August 2018, 18:31

Reply to: Trip Report for South Luangwa Park Safari – September 2017
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about South Luangwa National...
More South Luangwa National Park Topics