We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Redwood Inn or in town?

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
13 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Redwood Inn or in town?

We are considering staying at what looks to be a nice motel in Oneonta, Redwood Inn and Suites, while my son is at Dreams Park. Wondering if it looks as easy to get to Dreams Park as it does on the map. Or, does it make more sense to stay at one of the chains like the Best Western nearby?

My other child and I will be doing area activities in addition to attending games. For those who know the area, wwyd?

Edited: 08 May 2016, 21:28
Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
11,026 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Redwood Inn or in town?

I guess I am a little confused by your question. Are you not wanting to stay in a chain? Are you worried about the cost? Because if geography is the only consideration then staying as close to your son would be a no-brainer to me. That being said, it probably is cheaper in Oneonta, Oneonta is a pleasant enough place IMO and it is easy to get to Dreams Park - you would just hop on I-88 East for an exit or two (depending on where in Oneonta the motel is) then take the Cooperstown/NY-28 exit for about 10-15 miles.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
13 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Redwood Inn or in town?

Thanks! Chain options are more expensive but perhaps worth the convenience. Not familiar with the area-Oneonta is less expensive. Is it a hard drive at night and is it a safe area?

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Cape May, Jersey Shore
Level Contributor
3,105 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Redwood Inn or in town?

You don't even need to get back onto I-88 from the Redwood Inn, you are all of 1/2 mile from Route 28 leading to Field of Dreams. Without traffic, the trip should take 15-20 minutes. But Route 28 can tend to be a slow go at times with traffic, since many others stay in Oneonta and visit Cooperstown. Could take 1/2 hour+ at peak times. Depending on how many games and the times of them, would influence the number of trips you would need to make back and forth.

Not a difficult drive but is a dark, albeit well traveled, rural road at night. Oneonta is generally a very safe area, and the Redwood Inn is not far from a shopping area. Oneonta is basically a college town which also is economically driven by its proximity to Cooperstown.

Edited: 09 May 2016, 04:34
Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
13 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Redwood Inn or in town?

Awesome! So helpful. Thanks for replying!! Just the info. I needed. I was worried I would be getting lost alone in the country or in the middle of the deep dark woods (former city gal here). Thanks a bunch!

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,105 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Redwood Inn or in town?

You are welcome! It is really dark, and you do go through a lot of wide, open spaces, (read-rural!) but it is a straight run. Good luck.

New York City
Level Contributor
6,394 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Redwood Inn or in town?

We stayed at the Hampton Inn in Oneota since I have Hilton Points

It was about a 30-40 Mins ride from there to Cooperstown.

If it wasnt a Point issue, Id recommend staying in Cooperstown, its much nicer than Oneota which I thought wa a dump (The Hotel was fine and was nice, just the surrounding area)

Cooperstown is a very pretty small town and everyone likes it. The tourist money allows it to be kept pristine

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
11,026 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Redwood Inn or in town?

Oneonta is not a dump ... it is fine if you stay there even though your lodging is a few miles from the city limits. It is a rural college town; not NYC. Route 28 is a state road so it is well maintained. There is a nice restaurant just down the road (the Farmhouse) and Brooks BBQ, which is an institution in the region, is also just down the road.

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,105 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Redwood Inn or in town?

I agree with rjr-Oneonta is not a dump. It is a typical NYS College town (and I have visited many!). Tend to be an older downtown, rural surroundings, basic necessities in the outskirts of town. I have been there on a few occasions and never, ever felt anything but safe. But, we also stayed at the Hampton Inn last summer and was underwhelmed by its location. Alongside the highway with a Corning plant on one side and some sort of trucking company on the other does not make for a great impression. That said I would not hesitate to stay at the HI again, I wasn't there for the view. The Redwood Inn is located in a different part of town, and is definitely not an overnight stop off the interstate like the Hampton Inn. Many, many people stay in Oneonta and visit Cooperstown. It is a popular area.

One point Howard made is that it can be a trip into Cooperstown with traffic. For us it never took more than 1/2 hour. Howard stated up to 40 minutes-I could see that as well. Google maps show 17 minutes without traffic. Only you can decide if your savings in money is worth the trip back and forth, possibly multiple times in a day, depending on game times.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
13 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Redwood Inn or in town?

Thank you all for replying! Good info. to make a decision.

10. Re: Redwood Inn or in town?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 May 2017, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Cooperstown