We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaria precautions

Northumberland, UK
Level Contributor
327 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Malaria precautions

We're visitng Botswana for the first time over he Christmas/New Year period - can't wait to go already. But would like advice re malaria precautions as one health site I've visited suggests you only need take precautions north of the Kalahari. We start out trip by arriving in Maun & then go straight that day to the Central Kalahari reserve - after that we go to the Delta. So does this mean that we needn't start the pills till we're heading back north to the Delta camp. Can anybody help on this one?

Jan

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,288 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malaria precautions

…scot.nhs.uk/destinations/africa/botswana/bo…

Hi Jan,

I'm not an expert and tend to err on the side of caution, but I can;t see there being many mozzies in the Kalahari. Depends on the rain, I guess.

having said that, if it's only a few days you are in the desert, I would probably just take the medication as you are going to need it when you get to the Delta.

And Maun is in the Delta, in any case, so you might as well be protected for arrival in the country.

So - you probably won;t need them in the Kalahari, but you'll need them for Maun and the delta. Might as well take them the whole time. Nothing to be gained from not doing so.

My 2 cents. A decent GP or travel clinic should also be consulted.

Northumberland, UK
Level Contributor
327 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malaria precautions

Hi Peter

Thanks for your response. Yes I will be consulting the GP to get my pills prescribed but I find I usually have to tell them what areas I think I need them for - as their knowledge is usually a bit limited to the generalities of the country concerned. And they usually say: "Exactly how many pills do you want?" So then you have to know when you're starting to take them... Anyway thanks for the help - I'll probably take them before arrival in Maun as you suggest, even though just passing through the airport at that stage. Cheers.

Jan

3. Re: Malaria precautions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 May 2011, 06:54
Get answers to your questions about Central Kalahari Game...