We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safari choice

London, United...
4 posts
1 review
Safari choice

Hi, I wonder if anyone could help me as we are planning to go safari this October but really unsure which place would be the best to visit.

Ideally we want it to be as natural as possible but also want to have the best chance to see the most variety of anmals including the 'big 5'. I guess all in all the best place to get the complete experience. We are leaning towards Kenya (masai mara) although we have also heard that Tanzania and South Africa (krueger) are also very good.

I appreciate any advice you could offer on this,

Luke

5 replies to this topic
Kruger National...
Level Contributor
2,064 posts
56 reviews
1. Re: Safari choice

Hi there Luke,

All the different safari areas offer different experiences, so it really depends on what you are after. Kruger National Park is World Famous for a reason - You will see everything you want to there, and will get the luxury experience offered in Kenya etc if you stay in a private reserve within the Kruger.

The budget makes a lot of difference too :-)

All the best,

Jacqui

St. Catharines...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: Safari choice

Hi which reserve do you recommend

We are going to be in joburg and would like to go to Kruger for the first weekend in October

Price isn't a big issue...but no sense in wasting money if we don't need to.

Seeing the big five is what we want. We went to Namibia with and beyond last year to see sand dunes which was beautiful but looking this year to see animals.

Thanks so much

Dr John Lefebre

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
287 posts
239 reviews
3. Re: Safari choice

I have been on Safari in Kenya and quite honestly it doesn't compare to South Africa. I have seen way more game in SA and it is far cheaper.

You cannot go wrong with Kruger, especially if you are spending a good couple of days there. Another option would be Botswana (Chobe) which could include a bit of the Okavango.

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
94 reviews
4. Re: Safari choice

a lot of places to see the big 5. The Kruger park, but also in Madikwe (near Botswana) Welgevonden privat game park, no maleria there !! and only 3 hours from Joburg. www.welgevonden.org.

have fun

Edited: 26 September 2012, 10:33
Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
9,635 posts
65 reviews
5. Re: Safari choice

How many days will you have for the safari? How many of you are there? Any youngsters? Are you comfortable driving the 5 to 6 hours from Johannesburg over to the Kruger area? Do you have a budget of perhaps £300 per night per couple - which would include luxury lodging, game drives, all meals? And in some places, might include some beverages, too..?

Dave Patterson - Owner - The Africa Safari

Reply to: Safari choice
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Makalali Private Game...
Recent Conversations