We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South Africa trip suggestions

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
7 reviews
South Africa trip suggestions

Hi,

My husband and I are planning on going to South Africa for our 10th Anniversary. It is a little under 2 years away, but we are starting to plan it already and get an idea of the cost. We are thinking about spending a week in and around Capetown. We would like to do a great white shark dive and observe predatory behaviour at Seal Island with Apex Predators, also we will visit the penguin colony and do some hiking on table mountain. We are planning on statying at a self-catering condo while there so taht we can save on making our own breakfasts at least and maybe a couple dinners, but from what I can tell there are many wonderful fine dining options in the city for a few nights out.

For the next leg of our trip we are planning on flying to Johannasburg and then driving to Garonga Safari Camp on Makalali prviate game reserve to stay there for 5 nights. If anyone has done that drive, any insights? From the rave reviews Garonga sounds spectacular!

Does anyone have any suggestions for anything that we should not miss or practical tips? Any phenomenal restaurants or less know off-the-beaten-path hidden gems? My husband and I like to be pampered, but can also rough it too, so any suggestions would be appreciated!!! Thanks!

7 replies to this topic
Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
2,258 posts
51 reviews
1. Re: South Africa trip suggestions

Hello, and I am biased but you should get over to KwaZulu Natal. Stunning bush locations, the Drakensberg Mountains and huge beaches. Be pampered in a private lodge or rough it in the wilderness. For me its the real South Africa. Depending on when you are there, there are seasonal whales & turtles to. I contribute to a web site that you might find helpful. www.safarikzn.com. Anyway enjoy your planning!

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
7 reviews
2. Re: South Africa trip suggestions

Thanks for the suggestions...I will be sure to check them out!

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
25 posts
3. Re: South Africa trip suggestions

Hmmm... I'm going to guess that you guys are leaning towards the outdoors? Here's a fairly comprehensive list for Cape Town:

nightjartravel.com/outdoor-activities/cape-t…

Personal highlight on the list is the Aquarium dives but if that interests you then check the timing before getting your hopes up :) Have done the shark cage dive myself, it is an awe-inspiring experience; just be careful about speeding fines on the drive out there ;) Also, the hiking on Table Mountain is spectacular. Please do be careful on loose rocks; each year we get hikers who assume that because it is a city the mountain is tame, but I can assure you it is a real mountain! However, stunning and a must do... and for a real 'treat' (which takes a bit of planning but is popular) you can hike up from Kirstenbosch, watch the sunset at the top, and take the Cable Car down. Enjoy!

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
7 reviews
4. Re: South Africa trip suggestions

Thanks so much for your tips and for the website - very helpful!

We are SO looking forward to our trip!

Table View, South...
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
96 reviews
5. Re: South Africa trip suggestions

You do not have to fly via Johannesburg as there are direct flights from Cape Town to Nelspruit.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
25 posts
6. Re: South Africa trip suggestions

:)

kentucky
Level Contributor
5,896 posts
42 reviews
7. Re: South Africa trip suggestions

We'll be @ Garonga in 15 days. Then a stay at Kapama Karula nr Kruger. 3 nts each. We're flying JNB to Hoedspruit. We've also stayed KZN 2 yrs ago and it was stunning:

luxurylink.com/fivestar/hotels/zululand-sout…

This property was great and has been offered on this website for several yrs.

I'm glad I read this thread so I can bookmark those links.

Have a wonderful time but I'm warning you, you might fall in love with SA.

Reply to: South Africa trip suggestions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Makalali Private Game...
Recent Conversations