We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Motswari versus Simbavati River Lodge

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Motswari versus Simbavati River Lodge

Planning a trip August 2017.

Torn between these two lodges.

Does anyone have any insight ?

Thanks.

4 replies to this topic
Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
6,605 posts
21 reviews
1. Re: Motswari versus Simbavati River Lodge

It's so hard to make that final decision! My only addition is Motswari does an excellent bush safari with a great ranger. They are both good choices. In all honesty, you can't choose wrong - they are all very competitive in each price range and will exceed your expectations. Here's a map of most of the lodges adjacent to Kruger. I don't recommend Thornybush or Kapama reserves, or those across R40, as they are fenced from Kruger.

assets.sunsafaris.com/Map-of-Kruger-Camps.pdf

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: Motswari versus Simbavati River Lodge

Thank you! That map is SO helpful!!!

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
6,605 posts
21 reviews
3. Re: Motswari versus Simbavati River Lodge

I post it often - I'm sure the regular posters here are tired of it. :) But it is very helpful to see how many lodges are available (and some are missing!). Lots of lodges in your price range and they generally do a good job on their websites so you get a good feel of the lodge and the amenities. In August it will be chilly at night (and won't be hot so you need a/c), but consider a tented lodge, especially if you can spend 6 nights - three at a tented lodge, three at a lodge with chalets.

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
9,498 posts
65 reviews
4. Re: Motswari versus Simbavati River Lodge

Between those two - I would choose Motswari. Why?

Maybe because I know it better and like it so much. It's not as refined as Simbavati River Lodge but I like the fact it has a few places where you can hang out, have your own little private space.

But Simbavati River has a man-made watering hole right off their deck and I was there earlier this year when 28 elephants showed up for a drink. Teeny - to huge. Quite a sight.

Reply to: Motswari versus Simbavati River Lodge
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Timbavati Private...
More Timbavati Private Nature Reserve Topics