We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Precautions

Atlanta
Level Contributor
2 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Precautions

We are going to Motswari in Timbavati and wanted to know what type of clothes to pack. Do we need malaria pills before hand? Do they have lots of mosquitoes?Anything we should be aware of in regards to the environment?

Thanks in advance.

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
9,437 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Precautions

Winter months = say late May through September = you may not see a mosquito. Motswari is not in a High Risk zone, even in summer months. I use a repellent with at least 30% DEET, spray my exposed skin and even my socks. But this is really more like a ceremony than an effort to avoid malaria. Mosquitoes are just not that prevalent.

You need layers of clothing, no matter what month you travel. The first hour or so of the morning game drive, and the end of the PM game drive can be quite chilly. In winter months - can be really cold!

Take a cap or hat. You don't need boots. Some people envision those as part of a safari ensemble - but they're not, when your safari is done in a Land Rover.

More relevant is this - the days when travelers shopped for safari-style clothing are just about over. Now, more than ever, people wear on safari what they wear to Target on their weekend errands.

I am from the old school - I admit it. I have enough 'bush' clothing to outfit a band of guerrilla fighters. But I am in the minority. I have been on game drives lately where the only people in 'safari wear' were the Ranger, the Tracker, and me.

PS - Motswari is a very good choice. You will love it!

Dave Patterson - Owner - The Africa Safar

Atlanta
Level Contributor
2 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Precautions

Thanks. This was very helpful.

3. Re: Precautions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 January 2018, 18:15
Get answers to your questions about Timbavati Private...
More Timbavati Private Nature Reserve Topics