We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get from Cape Town to Kambaku Lodge by air?

3 posts
Save Topic
Best way to get from Cape Town to Kambaku Lodge by air?

Hi there,

Two of us will be traveling from Cape Town to Kambaku Lodge on July 21, 2016.

Flights on SA into Hoedspruit, the nearest airport to Kambaku, are sold out. Flying SA into Nelspruit is an option, but my understanding is that Nelspruit is still a 3 - 3.5 hour drive from Kambaku. Is there a closer airport option that SA flies to? Could we fly into Shukuza? I know Shukuza Airport is inside Kruger itself and mainly serves Shukuza main camp, but can it also be used to access private lodges in the Timbavati? Or could we fly into Phalaborwa? There seem to be available SA flights to each.

Alternatively, would a shuttle flight on FedAir or Bateleur give us more options? I suspect so, and better rates, but can't figure out how to view fares and timetables. Can I book those myself or do I need to go through a travel agent to do so? (We are in the US).

Any other ways to get there by air that I haven't mentioned above?

Thanks much for any help and advice. I have combed through the forums but have not found the info I need, but apologies if this has been discussed at length before.

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Western Cape, South Africa
Hoedspruit
Hoedspruit
Limpopo Province, South Africa
Nelspruit
Nelspruit
Mpumalanga, South Africa
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
6,505 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to get from Cape Town to Kambaku Lodge by air?

You could you fly into the Timbavati Reserve by charter using the local airstrip, however you will be required to pay an extra levy, which is payable & can be arranged thru the lodge.

The Kambaku Safari Lodge looks about 2hrs from Phalborwa airport

Note: Skukuza is closer than Nelpruit, but still about 3 hrs (or more)away . Yes, Skukuza is inside the park, but can be used for many of the rest camps (not just Skukuza) and some lodges in Sabi Sands.

Mentioned in this post
Kambaku Safari Lodge
Kambaku Safari Lodge
734 Reviews
Timbavati Private Nature Reserve, South Africa
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
6,505 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to get from Cape Town to Kambaku Lodge by air?

You can consider departing from HDS and turn in your car there, after your safari. If flights are available then.

3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to get from Cape Town to Kambaku Lodge by air?

Hi there, thanks. I understand Shukuza can be used for Kruger rest camps and some lodges inside the Sabi Sand, but since we are staying at a private lodge in Timbavati, my question was whether that airport could be used to access that. But maybe It doesn't save any travel time if it is still 3 hours away from the lodge. Also - We will not be renting a car so would need to arrange transport either through the lodge or someone else to get us back and forth from airstrip to lodge.

From further research it looks like hopping on a FedAir shuttle flight from Joburg makes the most sense, and gets us the closest, but I can't figure out how to view fares. It looks like I need a travel agent or possibly Kambaku Losge itself to book those shuttle flights for us - is that correct?

Wondering if there are any other creative options. ...?

Mentioned in this post
Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Kruger National Park, South Africa
Kruger National...
Level Contributor
2,052 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to get from Cape Town to Kambaku Lodge by air?

Hi there - I understand that Cape Town - Hoedspruit may be sold out, but have you tried Cape Town - Johannesbug - Hoedspruit? This is how I usually fly and it is generally better priced too :-)

Warm regards

Jacqui

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Western Cape, South Africa
Hoedspruit
Hoedspruit
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to get from Cape Town to Kambaku Lodge by air?

Hi Jacqui, Yes, I tried that too. Thanks. I tried online and then also called SAA who confirmed there were no more seats on flights into Hoedspruit on that day.

Edited: 02 March 2016, 06:42
Mentioned in this post
Hoedspruit
Hoedspruit
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
6,505 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to get from Cape Town to Kambaku Lodge by air?

Yes, you can arrange a flight to the local airstrip thru the lodge.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
6,505 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to get from Cape Town to Kambaku Lodge by air?

As you mentioned...Phalaborwa airport to Kambaku is an option

8. Re: Best way to get from Cape Town to Kambaku Lodge by air?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 March 2017, 15:18
Get answers to your questions about Timbavati Private...
More Timbavati Private Nature Reserve Topics