We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Klaserie private nature reserve

Bradford, United...
Level Contributor
49 posts
6 reviews
Klaserie private nature reserve

Im looking to book a 3 day safari in December 2015, having looked at many of the game parks weve decided to go for a private park, we have 3 teenage sons and want someone to organise us and look after us!

Could someone please clarify as to whether the Klaserie reserve is part of the Timbavati reserve?

I've looked at a lodge in Klaserie, would we get to see many animals here?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,344 posts
29 reviews
1. Re: Klaserie private nature reserve

Klaserie is its own "reserve" with unfenced boundaries to other reserves (Balule, Thornybush, Timbavarti).

Have a read of the post from a couple of days ago headed nDzuti vs Africa on Foot for some information on Klaserie game viewing. I have visited Timbavarti reserve (in May) and the game drives were not very productive.

As far as game sightings are concerned, my opinion is if you can afford a little more for your safari, Sabi Sands reserve seems to be much more game rich than Klaserie and Timbavarti. Elephant Plains Lodge, Arathusa, Nottens, Umkumbe are some of the more budget friendly lodges. I have visited Sabi Sands several times and have never been disappointed.

Bradford, United...
Level Contributor
49 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: Klaserie private nature reserve

Thankyou very much for your advice, I will act upon your suggestions!

regards

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
9,491 posts
65 reviews
3. Re: Klaserie private nature reserve

I use both Klaserie and Timbavati reserves for clients and have not had any negative feedback at all about the wildlife viewing. Yes, Sabi Sand is good - we have especially reliable leopard sightings there. But it is a mistake to dismiss other reserves so easily. I shot this video on one game drive in the Klaserie reserve about a year ago while staying at nThambo… very close to Africa on Foot and not too far from nDzuti. As you can see, we saw a diverse range of wildlife.

vimeopro.com/user6272381/nthambo-game-drive-…

Edited: 27 December 2014, 13:47
Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
18 reviews
4. Re: Klaserie private nature reserve

I've been visiting the Timbavati and Klaserie areas for over 20 years and I've never been disappointed.

The Sabi Sands area has been well-marketed as THE place to be, but in my limited experience, it's the value of the experience that counts. I agree with Bwanadave that Sabi Sands is probably more reliable for leopards. Leopards are highly territorial and the habits of local leopards are often known by the rangers. This applies to most lodges, including those in the Klaserie and Timbavati.

Many folk go on safari and compare their experience to what "others" have seen or done, sometimes based on media and marketing and often based on personal recommendations, but in reality, those "once in a lifetime" experiences can happen at any time or anywhere. My most memorable encounters have also been the most unexpected.

I've always loved the area and I'm sure you would.

Bradford, United...
Level Contributor
49 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: Klaserie private nature reserve

I am most grateful for the information you have posted!

The video was a great help, and very good in helping me understand what may be seen in Klaserie and Timbavati.

I don't think we are going to be disappointed whichever area we eventually choose!

kind regards and thankyou

White River, South...
Level Contributor
95 posts
72 reviews
6. Re: Klaserie private nature reserve

I would just like to agree with other posters that the Klaserie and Timbavati are both very good reserves to see plenty of animals. I think also that you will have a more natural experience there. The Klaserie is a large reserve made up of separate (unfenced) properties owned by private families (we are one of them) and only a few commercial lodges exist. No one travels on other properties except by arrangement, so you will often have the bush to yourselves. I can recommend Klaserie Camps, which has a large area over which to traverse, including a stretch along the Olifants River. Klaserie is also a very well run reserve from a conservation point of view. Timbavati and Thorny Bush are also both teeming with game and have some great options for accommodation.

Woodbridge, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
117 reviews
7. Re: Klaserie private nature reserve

The Greater Kruger area is made up of different Conservancies and Private Nature reserves of which Timbavati and Klaserie are just two. The following link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Associated_Private_Nature_Reserves ) provides a fuller list of the estates which make up the Nature Reserves that border the Kruger National Park ( KNP). The boundary fences between these reserves and KNP have been removed so as to allow freer movement of wildlife in and out of the KNP

Most of these reserves provide excellent eco-tourist accommodation. Some also provide hunting concessions though it is highly unlikely that tourists will ever encounter such activity.

These reserves and conservancies provide some of the best tourist lodges in the area. The lodges themselves will operate game drives around their own reserve as well as longer visits into the main Kruger National Park.

8. Re: Klaserie private nature reserve

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 April 2016, 01:15
Get answers to your questions about Timbavati Private...
More Timbavati Private Nature Reserve Topics