We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Singita Boulders or Cottars 1920's/South Africa vs Kenya?

CT
Level Contributor
101 posts
8 reviews
Singita Boulders or Cottars 1920's/South Africa vs Kenya?

This will be our first safari. For anyone who has been to both the Masai Mara and Kruger/Sabi Sands, which would you recommend? It may be our only one, so I need to decide which. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,534 posts
1. Re: Singita Boulders or Cottars 1920's/South Africa vs Kenya?

I think it could come down to time of year. When are you planning to go?

CT
Level Contributor
101 posts
8 reviews
2. Re: Singita Boulders or Cottars 1920's/South Africa vs Kenya?

December 2011

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
9,635 posts
65 reviews
3. Re: Singita Boulders or Cottars 1920's/South Africa vs Kenya?

An interesting pairing of camps - they could hardly be more different. Here's a look at Singita Boulders accommodation in a video I shot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luT-0fxSeSE The main Lodge is open, spacious, more boulders throughout and big open decks outside.

Cottars is a throwback design with camp chairs and Oriental rugs.. as you see on their web site. But an even bigger difference is the environment. Cottars is on Masai land, outside the Masai Mara Reserve and on any given day, your game drives will be out in the sort of land you envision for an Africa safari. But you cannot be sure what your wildlife experience will be. To me, the camp and the connection to the Masia tribe IS the experience. The wildlife would be the bonus.

Your Singita game drives will be on some of the best wildlife land in South Africa guided by Rangers who have a good idea of where the animals will be. The Lodge and your casita and the dining will also be memorable, mostly for the sheer luxury. In December, it will be hot through the day at Singita, so the air conditioning in your casita and the private pool will be very welcome, too.

Finally - and this is speaking from my 20+ years of operating safaris in Kenya - there's no significant other activity but safaris. If you go there, i would add nights at Larsens and/or Finch Hattons to your trip. In South Africa, you can (and should) also spend time in and around Cape Town. Maybe even add another safari stop.

Dave Patterson - Owner - The Africa Safari

Edited: 03 October 2010, 16:20
CT
Level Contributor
101 posts
8 reviews
4. Re: Singita Boulders or Cottars 1920's/South Africa vs Kenya?

What fabulous information, Dave! Thank you so much! I was thinking about throwing in Cape Town if we do Singita. We were thinking about the Dock House or Cape Grace. We will have two children with us, ages 12 and 14. I was sort of thinking that Singita could be the better experience with the kids...? But then thought maybe the more wild experince of the Mara could be. Personally, I like luxury. Thanks for the valuable input!

London, United...
Level Contributor
33,612 posts
79 reviews
5. Re: Singita Boulders or Cottars 1920's/South Africa vs Kenya?

Other than a luxury safari experience, is there anything you want to get out of your trip?

I mean, is learning about the culture of the country you are visiting important to you? Or, is seeing a rhino (or leopard or whatever) a 'must'?

Edited: 03 October 2010, 18:25
CT
Level Contributor
101 posts
8 reviews
6. Re: Singita Boulders or Cottars 1920's/South Africa vs Kenya?

We most definitely are interested in learning about the culture of the country we visit, and in seeing the wildlife. I'm trying to figure out how to make it all work in one trip, and whether that would be best accomplished in Kenya or South Africa.

Nelspruit
Level Contributor
16 posts
7. Re: Singita Boulders or Cottars 1920's/South Africa vs Kenya?

December in South Africa is an exciting time to travel to the bush, there are many recently born animals running around (which stimulates the predator activity from big eagles to leopards and lions), all the migrant birds are back and everything is in full bloom. It is hot; there is a good chance of rain here and there but the excitement of being in a wild area at its natural climax phase is wonderful. Cape Town is always a wonderful combination to do with safari in South Africa and if you enjoy the luxurious way of doing things, Cape Town has a large variety of destinations that will not disappoint your taste.

Table mountain, Cape Point, the wine lands, the waterfront; they are all really beautiful and interesting so there is so much to do and see.

Kenya is an amazing wildlife destination but is seasonal. August/ September and mid October is the best time to go as the migration has reached the Mara River and to watch thousands of wildebeest and zebra crossing is life changing but by December all the herds would have headed back South into Tanzania. Having said that, Kenya’s Masi Mara National park is still full of wildlife regardless of whether the migration is there or not, I would just save a trip to the Mara for when you can get EVERYTHING when you go all that way. South Africa is easy to plan, get around, great for families and your dollar goes a little further.

Hope this helps and have a wonderful trip.

Mike

*Owner*

Africa Direct

CT
Level Contributor
101 posts
8 reviews
8. Re: Singita Boulders or Cottars 1920's/South Africa vs Kenya?

Thank you so much for your input Mike! Such great information. I was starting to come to the conclusion that South Africa is the way to go for December. I think I'm just going to have to hope that I can swing it again some other time for Kenya, and when the Great Migration is in full swing. Thanks again for your input!

Edited: 04 October 2010, 12:28
Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
9,635 posts
65 reviews
9. Re: Singita Boulders or Cottars 1920's/South Africa vs Kenya?

If your December schedule would be right across Christmas, then start making some plans soon. The type of properties you are considering attract guests from all over the world for that period..

Dave Patterson - Owner - The Africa Safari

CT
Level Contributor
101 posts
8 reviews
10. Re: Singita Boulders or Cottars 1920's/South Africa vs Kenya?

Thank you, Dave. I actually have just booked a family suite at Singita Boulders for 4 days over Christmas! Now I just hope my children will be okay with not being at home for Christmas! I guess now the question is which way to go from Singita. Victoria Falls or Cape Town? Thank you for all of your very helpful input.

Kathy

Edited: 04 October 2010, 14:33
Get answers to your questions about Singita Private Game...