We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Abercrombie and Kent at Lion Sands vs. Singita

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
1,033 posts
48 reviews
Abercrombie and Kent at Lion Sands vs. Singita

I realize this is a tough question, but any thoughts on why Abercrombie and Kent has their guests staying at Ivory Lion Sands as opposed to Singita Ebony or Granite Suites? Is there something better about Lion Sands then the other luxury camps?

Thank you!

1. Re: Abercrombie and Kent at Lion Sands vs. Singita

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 16 August 2012, 18:29
Edited: 16 August 2012, 18:29
Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
9,634 posts
65 reviews
2. Re: Abercrombie and Kent at Lion Sands vs. Singita

Ivory Lodge is an extraordinary luxury lodge but is nevertheless substantially less expensive than Singita lodges and Londolozi Granite suites,

Singita - $1630PP per night Londolozi Granite - $1443PP per night for 3 nights, $1370PP for 4 nights Ivory Lodge - $1266PP per night for 3 nights plus a free 4th night, reducing the average cost to $950PP per night. Those are Rack rates. Because of its strength in the marketplace, A&K will have substantially discounted nett rates that they pay to all of these lodges.

Further, I expect A&K could replace Ivory Lodge with either of the others that you might prefer, and then quote you what your cost would be for that. I think all tour operators would gladly offer you that option.

Dave Patterson - Owner - The Africa Safari

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
1,033 posts
48 reviews
3. Re: Abercrombie and Kent at Lion Sands vs. Singita

Thank you for that detailed response. I'm not actually using A&K, I was just reading about their trips in doing research for our stay. I'm wondering why they choose Lion Sands over the other two lodges. Would you think it was purely price or is Lion Sands a "better" choice?

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
9,634 posts
65 reviews
4. Re: Abercrombie and Kent at Lion Sands vs. Singita

My opinion? Singita and Londolozi have done a magnificent job of positioning themselves in the eyes of affluent travelers. And they have the quality lodges to back it up. A suite at Singita Boulders is an architectural wonder and here's my video of it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luT-0fxSeSE And the main lodge at Boulders is equally remarkable for its size, and creative use of boulders and natural materials.

Lion Sands Reserve operates a little differently, with its much larger River Lodge serving travelers spending less - Ivory Lodge with only six chalets is its representation in the luxury market. And its main lodge is rather subdued. Value for money? One of my major considerations for clients.. Ivory Lodge by far.

Edited: 16 August 2012, 20:44
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
1,033 posts
48 reviews
5. Re: Abercrombie and Kent at Lion Sands vs. Singita

Thank you very much for your thoughtful and insightful reply. As I know this really is a "once in a lifetime trip" I appreciate your help.

George, South Africa
Level Contributor
1,761 posts
23 reviews
6. Re: Abercrombie and Kent at Lion Sands vs. Singita

Excellent summary by Dave. There is certainly nothing substandard about Ivory Lodge that causes their price to be lower, and there is nothing substandard about Singita or Londolozi Granite Suites that causes A&K to choose Ivory Lodge. For a once in a lifetime trip, none of these lodges will disappoint in any way. But I also recommend Ivory Lodge very often due to value for money considerations, and personal preference. The views, the suites, the food, the bush and the game viewing is excellent at all of these lodges.

Onne from Wild Wings Safaris

Johannesburg, South...
7 posts
1 review
7. Re: Abercrombie and Kent at Lion Sands vs. Singita

Hi, I normally don't post as the discussion needs to remain impartial however you raise a very interesting point for us to consider. I am Co-Owner of Ivory Lodge with my brother Nicholas. To answer your question I can tell you that we have always been very conservative on our pricing structures as we feel the value for money proposition is a key ingredient to survive these volatile economic times however I realise this may create a negative perception in the market place which is certainly something for us to consider. Personally I feel that there are only 4 Lodges which truly deliver at this "6*" level, Singita, Londolozi Granite; Royal Maliwane and ourselves at Lion Sands Ivory Lodge. I hope that you do chose Ivory Lodge however if you stay at any of the above mentioned Lodges you will certainly not be disappointed. Enjoy the planning process and try and take advantage of a destination expert as they really do add value.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
1,033 posts
48 reviews
8. Re: Abercrombie and Kent at Lion Sands vs. Singita

Thank you very much for commenting. I'm sure a lot of people who are planning a trip to Sabi Sand will be very interested in your reply. I have just received additional information from Lions Sand this morning.

9. Re: Abercrombie and Kent at Lion Sands vs. Singita

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 03:16
Get answers to your questions about Sabi Sand Game Reserve