We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blank paper complete SA novice - need ideas!

uk
1 post
Save Topic
Blank paper complete SA novice - need ideas!

Hi -

we are hoping to go to SA in March but have absolutely no idea on where is best.

Like everyone we are on a budget and want the best we can afford.

We will be flying from London but nor sure where is best to fly to.

We are looking for probably 18 days travels.

We have never been and are looking for advise on the best 1st time safari to SA.

We may hire a car but have some concerns re safety but probably for the safari tours we will be looking for guided tours.

All in we are hoping to spend between 1500 - 2000 UK pounds each.

I know this is a bit vague but any help approciated.

tia

Somerset
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Blank paper complete SA novice - need ideas!

First question is the £1500-2000 purely for your budget within SA or does you UK-SA flight have to come out that ? Once that is clear will come back with ideas.

Presume you want to cover at least two areas ie Kruger NP area for safari and Cape Town ? What are you interested in apart from the wildlife ? Wine/beaches/scenery.

I normally fly into Joburg and then end up in Cape Town and fly back to UK from Cape Town.

Would definately recommend car hire - never had any problems safetywise in all the years I have driven around SA. I find it far easier driving around SA than in the UK and they drive on the same side of the road as us!!!

So give us a few pointers and we will try and fill in some details.

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Western Cape, South Africa
durban
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Blank paper complete SA novice - need ideas!

There is also Kwazulu Natal to consider, outstanding game parks, the amazing Drakensberg, Anglo Boer and Zulu battlefield tours, Indian Ocean and so much more to enjoy. www.kimssouthafrica.blogspot.com

Mentioned in this post
KwaZulu-Natal
KwaZulu-Natal
South Africa
Rochdale
Level Contributor
50 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Blank paper complete SA novice - need ideas!

I second that - Natal has everything you cound wish for - beaches, safari, mountains, cities, shopping good accommodation and fantastically friendly people.

Mentioned in this post
Natal
Natal
State of Rio Grande do Norte
african bush
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Blank paper complete SA novice - need ideas!

hi there

If you have clarified your budget for SA excluding your international flights you can look at a general travel plan (this will differ from person to person giving you advice but at least its something to start with) fly in to JHB

must do Capetown 4-5 days (wine lands ,Robbin island, table mountain) drive up the garden route (beautiful this time of year) to Mosselbay Pletenbergbay Knysna are (3-5 days)

fly to durban ( do that area could drive up to st Lucia do a safari there [Phinda] 3-6 days if you do safari there

or fly to Nelspruit from Port elizabeth and do the kruger area and a safari there 4-6 days

my choice for safari would definitely be to do it in the Kruger

area

enjoy your planing

Storm

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,578 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Blank paper complete SA novice - need ideas!

Hi Tia! March is a great time to visit South Africa! As you have posted this question on the Sabi Sand forum, I assume you are hoping to include a lodge in this reserve in your itinerary. Some of the most affordable lodges in this reserve, are Elephant Plains (standard rooms offer great value for money safari), Arathusa & Nkorho. In the Timbavati, which is also part of the Greater Kruger National Park, you could consider Ngala Safari Lodge which offers a pay for 2 nights, stay for 3, special deal valid for certain dates of travel.

Cape Town has a large variety of accommodation to choose from, and you shouldn't struggle to find some good options that will fit your budget. From CT you could tour the Garden Route - beautiful seaside towns like Mossel Bay & Knysna also offer plenty of good priced accommodation.

Kwazulu Natal is always beautiful, and if you do fly from CT to Durban, you could travel north, visiting seaside locations like Umhlanga, Balito, St Lucia (great boat cruises to view large crocodiles & hippos). I agree that Phinda is a great safari destination, about 2 hours' drive north of St Lucia, but might be a bit expensive for your budget.

Good luck with the planning!

Tanya * owner * Africa Direct

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Western Cape, South Africa
KwaZulu-Natal
KwaZulu-Natal
South Africa
St. Lucia
St. Lucia
Caribbean
6. Re: Blank paper complete SA novice - need ideas!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 July 2010, 07:19