We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lion Sands River Lodge vs Sabi Sabi Bush for game viewing

Burien, Washington
6 posts
Save Topic
Lion Sands River Lodge vs Sabi Sabi Bush for game viewing

My husband and I will be travelling to S. Africa in September, 2010 and we have found a good deal that gives us a choice of either Lion Sands River Lodge or Sabi Sabi Bush Lodge for the same price. Is one known to be better for game viewing? Also, we hope to do some walking safaris. Would one be better for that? Any suggestions would be helpful.

We will end our safari by staying at the Ngala reserve. Any advice for choosing between Ngala tented camp or Ngala safari lodge? We realize the tented camp is a little bit pricier.

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions!

Mentioned in this post
Lion Sands River Lodge
Lion Sands River Lodge
818 Reviews
Sabi Sand Game Reserve, South Africa
Sabi Sabi Bush Lodge
Sabi Sabi Bush Lodge
581 Reviews
Cape Town
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Lion Sands River Lodge vs Sabi Sabi Bush for game viewing

Hi there,

Lions Sands River and Sabi Sabi Bush are about 3kms apart from each other, both in the Sabi Sands so the game viewing will be identical on the drives. In fact, Sabi Sabi used to manage the site where Lions Sands River lodge now is.

Both Sabi Sabi bush lodge and Lions Sands River are quite big (about 24 and 18 rooms respectively) so if you want a smaller experience go for Sabi Sabi Little Bush.

For walking safaris, you will be with & Beyond at Ngala, I would rather do the walking safari there. I would also opt to spend the extra money and go Ngala Tented Camp (as you would have already had the chalet lodge experience in the Sabi Sands)

Mentioned in this post
Sabi Sabi Bush Lodge
Sabi Sabi Bush Lodge
581 Reviews
Burien, Washington
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Lion Sands River Lodge vs Sabi Sabi Bush for game viewing

Hello,

Thank you for the excellent information. I didn't realize Lion Sands and Sabi Sabi Bush were so close. We are leaning towards Lion Sands River Lodge and Ngala Tented Camp.

Your suggestions were much appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Sabi Sabi Bush Lodge
Sabi Sabi Bush Lodge
581 Reviews
Lion Sands River Lodge
Lion Sands River Lodge
818 Reviews
Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
9,387 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lion Sands River Lodge vs Sabi Sabi Bush for game viewing

If you haven't seen it - here's my video of Lion Sands River Camp: youtube.com/user/BwanaDave#p/u/6/lkRAfnDBh5k I enjoyed it for the service and excellent dining. Wildlife was pretty good. I suppose your agent has told you - but you may be able to have complimentary nights in Cape Town at the Cape Cadogan if you stay at Lion Sands - and you definitely can stay 4 nights for the price of 3 nights at Ngala Tented Camp during September. Even into the 1st 10 days of October. Sept 1 - 15 is Mid Season rates, after that, Low Season rates.

Dave Patterson - Owner, The Africa Safari

Mentioned in this post
Lion Sands River Lodge
Lion Sands River Lodge
818 Reviews
Cape Town
Cape Town
Western Cape, South Africa
Cape Cadogan
Cape Cadogan
766 Reviews
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Mytmoss
Level Contributor
432 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lion Sands River Lodge vs Sabi Sabi Bush for game viewing

One thing that was not mentioned so far, is that the River Lodge is located right on the Sabi River. Some rooms have a direct view. There is also a wonderful viewing platform built out over the river where you can sit and relax during on drive times.

Also if you are a bit adventurous, Lion Sands has a tree house where you can spend the night that is away from the lodge. I have not done it, but I have talked to many who have and they have loved it.

River Lodge has a wonderful friendly atmosphere and many say the food at Lion Sands is amongst the best in Sabi Sands, and that says a lot !

Mike

Burien, Washington
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Lion Sands River Lodge vs Sabi Sabi Bush for game viewing

Thanks for the helpful information and for sending the video! We will be doing the stay for 4 nights pay for 3 at Ngala,but the trip we are looking at would have us staying at Table Bay in Cape Town. I will ask our agent about Cape Cadogan and see if that will save us some money. Thanks for the suggestion.

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Cape Cadogan
Cape Cadogan
766 Reviews
Burien, Washington
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Lion Sands River Lodge vs Sabi Sabi Bush for game viewing

Thanks for the helpful information, Mike.

I will ask our agent about staying in the tree house one night. That sounds really cool! If we do book at River Lodge, we'll look forward to the views from the river and the wonderful food!

Your suggestions are much appreciated.

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
9,387 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lion Sands River Lodge vs Sabi Sabi Bush for game viewing

Table Bay is one of the 3 or 4 most expensive hotels in Cape Town. You could stay almost anywhere else and save some money. Incidentally, looking at the rates on the web sites, you could stay at the Cape Grace (better hotel, in my opinion) for 20% less than the Table Bay, using their Ultimate Romance package where you stay 4, pay for 3.

Cape Cadogan is a neat small property, not a hotel, really.. but more than a Guest House. In between? The Cape Heritage.

Dave Patterson - Owner, The Africa Safari

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Cape Grace
Cape Grace
2,254 Reviews
Mytmoss
Level Contributor
432 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lion Sands River Lodge vs Sabi Sabi Bush for game viewing

Sometimes Lion Sands has special packages when you stay at their lodge and Cape Town too. They have some places like the Cape Codegan and they have had some excellent deals in the past.

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Burien, Washington
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Lion Sands River Lodge vs Sabi Sabi Bush for game viewing

Thanks again for the information. The tour company is actually offering a much better package deal by staying at Table Bay instead of Cape Cadogan for 4 nights and then going on to Lion Sands for 2 nights. I was surprised by that since I believe Lion Sands and Cape Cadogan have the same owners.

10. Re: Lion Sands River Lodge vs Sabi Sabi Bush for game viewing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 June 2010, 05:16