We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Airport to Fly Into for Umkumbe Lodge

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
10 posts
32 reviews
Best Airport to Fly Into for Umkumbe Lodge

Hi there!

Can someone advise me on what the best airport is to come into for Umkumbe Lodge? I'm a little confused because it appears that Skukuza is way closer but it seems that the price for the transfer is about the same as Nelspruit (much further away). Are the roads poor and it takes a long time coming from Skukuza and should we go with Nelspruit?

Also, I assume if we get in at 11am, we'll be fine with the afternoon game drive? And if we leave on a 1:30pm (or later) flight, we'll have time for the morning game drive & getting to the airport.

Any guidance would be much appreciated!

7 replies to this topic
Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
6,797 posts
21 reviews
1. Re: Best Airport to Fly Into for Umkumbe Lodge

You could fly to Skukuza or Nelspruit and rent a car. Transfers are expensive. Yes, those are good flight times to book.

https://www.umkumbe.co.za - see the info under location.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,358 posts
29 reviews
2. Re: Best Airport to Fly Into for Umkumbe Lodge

Skukuza is a lot closer than Nelspruit, and is always my choice. I hire a car at Skukuza (pre book with Avis) and drive to Umkumbe - this usually works out way cheaper than paying for a transfer. It is an easy drive through Kruger National Park and out of Paul Kruger Gate, like a mini game drive.

So, self drive or transfer, use Skukuza. You will have plenty of time for morning game drives and to make the airport for your return flights.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
10 posts
32 reviews
3. Re: Best Airport to Fly Into for Umkumbe Lodge

Thanks for the tips! Can you tell me how long it takes from leaving the airport to arriving? When I look at a map, it tells me 1 hour (but an agency told me 2 hours).

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
6,797 posts
21 reviews
4. Re: Best Airport to Fly Into for Umkumbe Lodge

I posted the link with the times included above.

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
9,588 posts
65 reviews
5. Re: Best Airport to Fly Into for Umkumbe Lodge

Skukuza is the closest airport to Umkumbe.. Transfers done by African Safari Adventures would be about R2150 each way. Sable Tours - about the same - R2212.

1 post
6. Re: Best Airport to Fly Into for Umkumbe Lodge

Hi I am flying into Skukuza airport and hiring a car. We have a booking at Umkumbe lodge. Is there a direct way from Skukuza airport or do you have to go via Paul Kruger gate and then into Sabi Sand at Shaw's gate? We are going back into KNP after Umkumbe

Thanks

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
6,797 posts
21 reviews
7. Re: Best Airport to Fly Into for Umkumbe Lodge

Yes Sean G, you must use designated roads and gates. The directions are in the link I posted above - scroll down to the directions download link.

Reply to: Best Airport to Fly Into for Umkumbe Lodge
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted