We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lion Sands vs Sabi Sabi Bush Lodge

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
3 posts
20 reviews
Lion Sands vs Sabi Sabi Bush Lodge

I am travelling in December 2018 and want to know which lodge is better? We have travelled extensively within game reserves in South Africa but this would be our first real splurge, so we want to make sure its worth it and we enjoy it. I know they are not far from each other, but is there a noticeable difference in service, food and the lodge itself?

Lokking for any advice. Thanks.

8 replies to this topic
Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
3 posts
20 reviews
1. Re: Lion Sands vs Sabi Sabi Bush Lodge

Specifically in Lions sand, the river lodge.

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
6,604 posts
21 reviews
2. Re: Lion Sands vs Sabi Sabi Bush Lodge

Since you’ve been there, what drew you to those 2 lodges? There are so many, there must be some amenity you are looking for.

If is was to splurge, I’d choose Mala Mala for the game viewing and partial community ownership.

If during the festive season, is there availability? So much is completely sold out already.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: Lion Sands vs Sabi Sabi Bush Lodge

Travel+Leisure readers just named Sabi Sabi the #1 safari lodge in South Africa, and the 54th best hotel in the world. Try for Earth Lodge...but they are all great!

Edited: 08 September 2018, 01:34
Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
9,501 posts
65 reviews
4. Re: Lion Sands vs Sabi Sabi Bush Lodge

Sabi Sabi Reserve is a place with excellent wildlife viewiing.. Here's a video of the Bush Lodge - what we would think of as their Main Lodge.https://vimeopro.com/user6272381/sabi-sabi-main-lodge-1

Personally, If I were going to the Sabi Sabi Reserve, I would choose Little Bush Lodge... Small, private... same wildlife experience as Bush Lodge offers. I just don't have a current video of it!

Speaking now of Lion Sands River Lodge... It is also a terrific choice.. Flip a coin.. You won't go wrong.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
3 posts
20 reviews
5. Re: Lion Sands vs Sabi Sabi Bush Lodge

@cbir: Thanks for the advice. The area simply attracts me for the game viewing.

@Deercats: I did see that. Tried to read reviews to get an overall public view on the lodges as a whole and they both seem to be very popular, only a few bad reviews each.

@bwanadave: Thanks for the videos :) Little Bush lodge does have very good reviews and seems a popular choice. Maybe you're right, flipping a coin is my best bet :)

Thanks all. Will check if both are still available for my dates and make the call :)

Birmingham...
2 posts
6. Re: Lion Sands vs Sabi Sabi Bush Lodge

I was just at Sabi Sabi Bush lodge and it was wonderful. A group came in after spending a couple of days at Lion Sands and said they liked the Sabi Sabi lodge better, but they saw saw lions and we didn’t. But with the wildlife you never know. Toss up.

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
9,501 posts
65 reviews
7. Re: Lion Sands vs Sabi Sabi Bush Lodge

Sabi Sabi Bush Lodge is an impressive place, yes... And, if this makes you feel any better about not seeing lions, that was just how-it-was-right-then.

You may have had sightings at Sabi Sabi that the Lion Sands guests didn't have!

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
5,280 posts
625 reviews
8. Re: Lion Sands vs Sabi Sabi Bush Lodge

Dave

I never go with any preconceptions of what I might see. I think that is why I enjoy the bush so much. I went 18 game drives without seeing a leopard but I saw wild dogs and cheetah. And a huge black mamba chasing a very inquisitive courser!

I love all the animals, big and small. I just take what I see as being a bonus.

Don’t forget to look up, as the bird life in the Kruger area is magnificent

Lisa

Reply to: Lion Sands vs Sabi Sabi Bush Lodge
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sabi Sand Game Reserve