We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

April game viewing

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
92 posts
3 reviews
April game viewing

How good is the game viewing and weather during early April? Highly considering Elephant Plains for my trip.

2 replies to this topic
Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
9,501 posts
65 reviews
1. Re: April game viewing

April is a true shoulder season month. Think of October in Toronto. Remember that the wildlife, with few exceptions, pretty much stays around the same area all the time. The variables tend to be weather and vegetation.

So, South Africa winter months - June, July, August - have the best sight lines because the vegetation isn't as dense. On the down side - shorter days.. sometimes quite chilly, especially early morning on the AM game drive and after nightfall on the PM game drive. Vehicles are topless and only some have side panels.. so you are exposed to whatever the weather brings you.

If April is the month that works best for your schedule, I see no reason not to travel then.

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
6,607 posts
21 reviews
2. Re: April game viewing

Just avoid Easter time.

I like short days/long nights during the winter (May-August) because you get up before dawn and dinner is about 2 hours after sundown. So during winter, you get a pretty good night sleep. Summer, not so much.

Unless you get the inexpensive rondovels at EP, there are better values.

Go whenever works best for you. You’ll have a great time.

Reply to: April game viewing
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sabi Sand Game Reserve