We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Like many people on here my head is busted !!!!

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
7 posts
52 reviews
Like many people on here my head is busted !!!!

There are bad reviews about the Island and beaches, but when I go on the Intercontinental reviews it says the beach is pristine and that we are in heaven?? Is the Intercontinental a diamond in the rough?? And how rough is rough??? We are looking for local restaurants, a few bars and I guess the hotel can cater the rest??

15 replies to this topic
Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
3,294 posts
7 reviews
1. Re: Like many people on here my head is busted !!!!

I don't know the specific place, but many of the large resorts clean up "their own" beaches.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,097 posts
15 reviews
2. Re: Like many people on here my head is busted !!!!

it says the beach is pristine and that we are in heaven??

========================================

As xpat said, they clean up the beaches every morning. Vietnamese hotels tend to exaggerate a bit/lot so you should be prepared to be disappointed. But it maybe quite good on the day. A lot of rubbish can float in on the tide from other beaches. I stayed at a resort in Mui Ne, it had a 150 metres of clean beach, but once you left that it was like a rubbish dump and it was largely rubbish blown in by the prevailing wind.

Edited: 14 October 2018, 00:01
pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
Level Contributor
10,184 posts
51 reviews
3. Re: Like many people on here my head is busted !!!!

If anyone, anywhere in Vietnam boasts about pristine environment steer clear. Vietnam has paid no attention to rubbish it's collection re-cycling or disposal. Much of it comes from Domestic use of packaging but most of it comes in from the heavily polluted East Sea. You may experience a good day on the beach you may not. The clue is to look at the long distance weather forecast, find the wind direction and then pick a beach where the wind will be blowing offshore, that is from the land towards the sea not from the sea onto the land.

Vietnam has a power generation problem and seems to ignore creating power from waste.

Cheers Ross

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
7 posts
52 reviews
4. Re: Like many people on here my head is busted !!!!

Thanks for that. The confusion from me comes from traveller reviews of the Intercontinental which we have already booked. Obviously they will clean their section of the beach but I’m thinking if the rest of the island is an absolute hole it will ruin it for me.

Then it’s hard to quantify if the reviews from both sides are justified. I went to Bali recently and thought it was pretty well kept for the most part.

Any comparisons?? My wife is only coming here on my recommendation on our annual Asian beach holiday and I think I may have messed it up. I have been to Mui Ne as well but that’s a pain to get to.

If I decide I don’t want to go to Phu Quoc apart from Thailand and Philippines are there any other South East Asian beaches with resorts that’s in good shape????

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
3,294 posts
7 reviews
5. Re: Like many people on here my head is busted !!!!

Just be prepared for litter. Generally speaking the Vietnamese litter, that's a (sad) fact, but there you have it. Roadsides are used for dumping of trash and debris from construction. Eat a sandwich? Throw the plastic bag on the ground as you finish eating. Drink a bottle of water, throw the use bottle as you walk or out the window of your car.

In the town where I live there are waste bins lining the beach. Still, the Vietnamese can't be bothered to walk 50 meters. It's so much easier to litter.

My personal theory is that if the city would stop the street sweepers from working a month or two, the citizens left alive from the cholera would, perhaps, finally learn.

Edited: 14 October 2018, 06:34
pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
Level Contributor
10,184 posts
51 reviews
6. Re: Like many people on here my head is busted !!!!

The pollution problem to me stems from a rapid change in our evolution as modern humans. Asia is the focal point now since 1980's and the growth is unprecedented. Prior to that period you would eat your meal from a banana or other large plate size leaf and discard it to the ground. No real problem with that as it would just decompose. You would drink from glazed pottery not cardboard or plastic cups. These changes to our behaviour came too quick for our thinking so recycling, reuse thinking just wasn't on our horizons. But now we know and there is no excusing us or Governments from doing something about it. We have a part to play and we should think twice about our use of plastics and other packaging, learning just what happens in the end to these materials.

Endof.

Cheers Ross

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
3,294 posts
7 reviews
7. Re: Like many people on here my head is busted !!!!

Last year I went to the beautiful island of Hon Bip in the Khanh Hoa province.

Pictures here:

http://imgur.com/gallery/kkYkaWk

On the way we came across this rural place. You can see empty cement bags, household waste, and there was human waste as well. Sadly, this is the case all over the country, even in areas such as towns where household garbage gets picked up by the city for a very small fee.

http://imgur.com/gallery/xZNsFEK

Edited: 14 October 2018, 11:19
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,504 posts
229 reviews
8. Re: Like many people on here my head is busted !!!!

It seems that the rubbish problem is one that is prevelant all other SE Asia, our recent visits to beaches in Thailand/ Malaysia/ Myanmar tells us that. We tossed a coin between visiting Phu Quoc or Con Dao and finally decided on CD in the hope that there will be less of a litter/rubbish problem, in reality i’m Expecting that there won’t be much difference. Apart from clearing up your own rubbish and maybe filling a bag when you visit the beach what else can you do.

pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
Level Contributor
10,184 posts
51 reviews
9. Re: Like many people on here my head is busted !!!!

ReedRover just that will do as long as someone else sees you doing it.

Cheers Ross

leicester
Level Contributor
2,443 posts
217 reviews
10. Re: Like many people on here my head is busted !!!!

In answer to your question, it isn’t a hell hole. You won’t be walking the streets climbing over rubbish or standing in it. It is there,but I doubt it will ruin your trip. Depending on when you go, An Bang beach near Hoi An is nice and the old town is lovely albeit busy with tourists.

We stayed at Mango Beach on Phu Quoc a couple of years back and we didn’t notice rubbish. Not saying it isn’t there but it wasn’t noticeable. Many seas have this issue, get a hotel with a pool and use the beach for walking and relaxing but maybe not swimming. Vietnam beaches in general are not that amazing but the rest of it is great!

Reply to: Like many people on here my head is busted !!!!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Phu Quoc Island
Recent Conversations