We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visa

8 posts
visa

Hi everyone

my husband and I are flying to Ho Chi Minh in march for 3 days and then flying to phu quoc for 4 days, after that we are going to phon penh for 3 days and then up to siem reap for 5 days and flying home from there. Am I correct in thinking we do not need a visa for vietnam because we are staying in the country for less than 15 days? Also which border crossing will we need from phu quoc by land or water to enter cambodia and can we obtain our entry visa from the crossing.

Any information would be greatly appreciated

thanks

karen

11 replies to this topic
UK
Level Contributor
3,547 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: visa

> my husband and I

are travelling on which countries passports?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,118 posts
15 reviews
2. Re: visa

You can get an evisa for Cambodia for $36USD You can only use the evisa at Bavet border crossing and at Phnom Penh airport. You could also get a visa from the embassy in HCMC. And I think you can get a visa at the border for $30 and the bus company charge a few dollars to wait in line and do it for you.

8 posts
3. Re: visa

whoops sorry, its a 10 year british passport with more than 6 months left on when we return

UK
Level Contributor
3,547 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: visa

> Am I correct in thinking we do not need a visa for Vietnam because we are staying in the country for less than 15 days?

Yes. But you should have paper proof of onward/return travel before the end of the 15th day. If you book your Phu Quoc - Ha Tien ferry online and take a printout of your booking, you would probably be fine...but you need to satisfy both your airline and Vietnamese Immigration.

They might well not ask for proof of onward/return travel, but they can and sometimes do.

Gatton, Australia
Level Contributor
303 posts
5. Re: visa

Hi manatdollar,

am I getting this right? no visa needed to visit Vietnam for a stay less that 15 days. Proof of onward travel is all that's required?

Sorry if I've misunderstood.

Ciaran

UK
Level Contributor
3,547 posts
6 reviews
6. Re: visa

@ciaran959 KAren has a UK passport.

vietnamembassy.org.uk/index.php…

Doesn't apply to Australian passports. If that's what you're travelling on, you will need a visa or (better) E-Visa

Gatton, Australia
Level Contributor
303 posts
7. Re: visa

Well, I'll be. I wonder why those five citizenships.

Thank for the link.

Ciaran

Ha Tien, Vietnam
Level Contributor
502 posts
82 reviews
8. Re: visa

Hi

When you arrive in Vietnam go straight to immigration and ask for a 15 day exemption. You will need a PRINTOUT of proof of onward travel. Don't get to immigration, fumble with your mobile, not get WiFi as you will probably be pushed back to the end of the queue. Immigration do not like being held up so PRINTOUT is what you need. Proof also includes any PRINTOUT of hotel reservations in Cambodia and/or a PRINTOUT of your flight reservation from Siem Reap..

Your border crossing would be Ha Tien. This border crossing DOES NOT except Cambodian eVISA. You apply in person for a VOA at the border, which is valid for 30 days, and which costs $35USD You need 1 passport photo and also have your innoculation booklet to hand or that will cost you another $1USD. I do this crossing every 3 months and you can read my thread about the border at:-

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g63552…

You are welcome to argue that the VISA should be $30USD but the Cambodian immigration will suddenly become busy and make you wait an hour or more. Depending on your mode of transport you might end up stuck at the border just for the sake of $5USD.

There is NO option to enter Cambodia via water from Phu Quoc.

Regards

Disardo

Edited: 15 October 2018, 16:48
Mui Ne, Vietnam
2 posts
2 reviews
9. Re: visa

If you don't currently have proof of your onward travel for your entry into Vietnam, this is a cheap option for a bus ticket from HCMC to Phnom Penh - $10, which of course you don't have to use:

https:/…

Book at least one week in advance of travel date, and select the option "Express Tickets" - this will keep the cost to $10USD

Royston, United...
Level Contributor
190 posts
54 reviews
10. Re: visa

When we arrived in Phu quoc last year on a flight from London immigration were not very understanding that we needed the 15 day exemption instead of the 30 day exemption as we were going to the mainland for a week on a flight the same day. We were taken to the side and we had printed copies of everything etc and proof we were leaving before 15 days but they still could not understand this, their English was very limited, eventually after 40 minutes they stamped our passports not with the 15 day but with the 30 day. Fortunately we did not face any further problems when flying to hcmc and back to phu quoc

Reply to: visa
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Phu Quoc Island