We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pregnant traveler - zika concern in Phu Quoc?

Sydney
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Pregnant traveler - zika concern in Phu Quoc?

Hi. I’m pregnant and have a holiday that was already booked in Phu Quoc for next week. Any confirmed reports of the zika virus there that anyone is aware of???? Are mosquitoes an issue this time of year?

5 replies to this topic
Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
39 posts
1. Re: Pregnant traveler - zika concern in Phu Quoc?

Hiya. I was in Phu Quoc 2 weeks ago. I didn’t hear anything about a virus. I’m thinking as long as you drink bottled water, eat at restaurants as opposed to the night food markets you should be good to go. The mosquitos weren’t an issue and air con would be a good idea because it’s really hot there. Scooter riding there can be pretty loose as there’s literally no road code but in saying that the VN are very considerate drivers by western standards. Have fun and all the best with your bubs.

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
508 posts
96 reviews
2. Re: Pregnant traveler - zika concern in Phu Quoc?

I think you should at minimum discuss with your GP or OBGYN to get proper medical advice before going.

Health Canada is still warning that pregnant women should avoid all non-essential travel to Vietnam due to Zika...

As for confirmed reports or such, can’t help you with that.

Bangalow, Australia
Level Contributor
631 posts
55 reviews
3. Re: Pregnant traveler - zika concern in Phu Quoc?

I agree you should get expert medical advice before leaving. A lot of illnesses in Vietnam don't get reported so the statistics aren't reliable. .most Vietnamese probably wouldn't go to the doctors for say Dengue fever etc.

I've never been bitten by a mosquito but my husband had and got Dengue fever...since Zika is a potential catastrophe for pregnant women, I would be concerned travelling there while pregnant.

Get proper medical advice.

Level Contributor
1,014 posts
21 reviews
4. Re: Pregnant traveler - zika concern in Phu Quoc?

Your GP will only Google it and look at the Aussie travel recommendations, which if followed to the letter you wouldn't travel anywhere, mine wanted to give me anti malerials last time and I had to set him straight. Just use your common sense, take reasonable precautions and enjoy your holiday.

Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
5. Re: Pregnant traveler - zika concern in Phu Quoc?

Did you end up going ? We are due to travel to vietnam next week and I'm pregnant.

Reply to: Pregnant traveler - zika concern in Phu Quoc?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Phu Quoc Island
Recent Conversations