We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phu Quoc questions- help!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
1 review
Phu Quoc questions- help!

Hi everyone,

We have already booked for October and how we didn't see these forums before I have no idea. I am a little worried now. Couple of questions:

Just wanted to know if people who have been in October would recommend not going at all at this time? The weather appears to be raining- constantly. Is this correct? There is some mixed reports online.

Then there is the rubbish and jellyfish issues....

We have six days to pull out before we lose our money. We were looking for a safe, family friend environment, for some time around the pool, beach etc. Was phu Quoc a bad choice?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

3 replies to this topic
pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
Level Contributor
10,194 posts
51 reviews
1. Re: Phu Quoc questions- help!

Jellyfish are dependent upon estuarine conditions at the time. They are not there all the time and you do have other parts of the Island to go to which will not be affected. Rubbish is Vietnam's biggest problem. Coming from Sydney you will not be impressed.

If the monsoon has started then you will get rain but not like an east coast low off Sydney. More likely short storms.

One thing not mentioned is construction. You need to check with your Accommodation as to whether there is construction going on around where you will be staying.

Cheers Ross

Rach Gia, Vietnam
Level Contributor
415 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Phu Quoc questions- help!

It does not rain constantly, the weather apps are deceiving. It's most likely going to be a mix of sun, clouds and some showers, usually in afternoon/evening. I would not cancel just because it's October. Due to global warming the weather has undergone a shift in the last decade (been in the region for 3 decades) from clear-cut division between dry and rainy season (virtually no rain from November to April) to possible spells of rainy weather well into December and in March/April.

A few times it looked like the monsoon had drawn to a close in a relatively dry October just to pick up again in November.

The trash situation is variable:some beaches are full of it while others are clean.

Yes, as the previous post mentioned, be careful with pre-booking hotels unless you enjoy jackhammers and pile-driving right under your balcony, lots of construction on the island.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
1 review
3. Re: Phu Quoc questions- help!

Thank you very much Ross and the cyclist03 for taking the time to respond. Really appreciate the comments and for pointing out the construction issue. I will be emailing the resort the resort to enquire about this! Thanks again!

Reply to: Phu Quoc questions- help!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Phu Quoc Island