We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety/suitability of Hout Bay

UK
Level Contributor
430 posts
63 reviews
Safety/suitability of Hout Bay

We are planning to visit Cape Town and the peninsula for 7 nights next April. We are two women and would appreciate some advice on how safe places are as a base, in order for us to work out the most suitable location for accommodation.

Initially we were thinking of a city centre apartment in Cape Town, but it was suggested to us that Camps Bay might be better. We looked into it but found it a bit expensive. We have found a more affordable apartment next to the beach in Hout Bay, so wondered if anyone could tell us if this is more or less safe than staying in Cape Town? We would appreciate advice on e.g. whether it is safe to walk to restaurants in the evening.

Many thanks

22 replies to this topic
johannesburg
Level Contributor
58 posts
24 reviews
1. Re: Safety/suitability of Hout Bay

first, you need to be aware that Hout Bay is not in Cape Town. it is a small fishing village/residential area well outside Cape Town itself.

its quite a drive to get there, but it is one of the most beautiful drives in the world, comparable to the Amalfi coast etc. BUT it IS a long drive, and if it is raining or misty can be dangerous (its a long way down the cliff to the sea!)

in itself, Hout Bay is nice- very laid bask, some good restaurants, and a lovely beach ( the water will be quite cold though).

as far as safety goes, its ok, but there is a very big informal settlement area on both sides of the bay, so keep to the main tourist areas and be careful not to wander around at night out of the main areas. then its quite safe.

you would be better advised to look for hotels/accom in Green Point, Sea Point or Moulle Point, all much nearer the city, quite viby and nice

Tennessee
Level Contributor
17,404 posts
19 reviews
2. Re: Safety/suitability of Hout Bay

I largely agree with the above. I've stayed in Hout Bay before, and enjoyed the area. It is a nice and attractive area.

It depends on what your intended activities are, where you'll be venturing out, and transportation.

If you want to do a lot of things in the city it may be a poor choice of location. If you plan to do a lot in the peninsula, it may be a great choice. With your own car, and willingness to drive as needed, it works well. Hout Bay has a few things of its own (world of birds, beach, harbor, Chapman's peak drive) and is easily accessible to Kirstenbosch, Simon's Town, Cape point, etc.

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
1,653 posts
9 reviews
3. Re: Safety/suitability of Hout Bay

Hout Bay is not as far away as #1 suggests, and is easy to get to using the hop on bus service: https:/…blue-mini-peninsula-tour

We did not encounter any safety problems when we stayed there earlier this year.

If you post a link to the apartment you have in mind, you may get specific feedback about the location.

UK
Level Contributor
430 posts
63 reviews
4. Re: Safety/suitability of Hout Bay

Thanks to you all for your speedy responses. I am aware that Hout Bay is not in Cape Town. Our plans for the week include exploring both Cape Town and the rest of the peninsula so we were thinking it might be suitably situated. The apartment we are looking at is this one

https://www.homeaway.co.uk/p6495075

It is right next to the beach if that helps.

Any further comments gratefully received. Thank you

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
1,653 posts
9 reviews
5. Re: Safety/suitability of Hout Bay

That looks good to me, and half way between restaurants at Mariners' Wharf and in Main Road.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
17,404 posts
19 reviews
6. Re: Safety/suitability of Hout Bay

Beautiful place. I like the location. You'll be walking distance to Mainstream Shopping Center. Several restaurants between there and Chapman's Peak Hotel along Main road.

Just a tip if you're sitting on the beach - locals advised that kids sometimes come out of the dunes and steal things, so keep any belongings in front of you so you can keep an eye on it. I would say that's a good idea in many places though.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
5,374 posts
623 reviews
7. Re: Safety/suitability of Hout Bay

Hi

I have travelled many times to Cape Town either with female friends or on my own. I have stayed in many different areas and never felt unsafe.

The accommodation does look nice and I do like Hout Bay. However, I'm not sure it's the best place if this is your first visit?

I would suggest city centre, Gardens, Tamboerskloof, Oranjezicht.

Also have a look at Greenpoint, Sea Point, Mouille Point and Bantry Bay. These have more affordable accommodation than Camps Bay.

I just feel that Hout Bay is just a little too far out for a first visit. If you're hiring a car, then it will be much easier to get around.

Lisa

johannesburg
Level Contributor
58 posts
24 reviews
8. Re: Safety/suitability of Hout Bay

it IS a lovely area. i have lived there for many years in the 1990's. its quaint, tranquil and pretty, BUT its not at all central to anything. If you are willing to drive for at least 30 mins every time you want to go outside of Hout Bay, its fine, but there is no nearby suburb- its quite isolated in that sense, in a beautiful bay all on its own.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,344 posts
9. Re: Safety/suitability of Hout Bay

"BUT its not at all central to anything. If you are willing to drive for at least 30 mins every time you want to go outside of Hout Bay, its fine,"

Absolute rubbish!

Lets think of some of the most visited places in Cape Town and their distance from Hout Bay - also consider that it probably has some of the lightest traffic in Cape Town and takes no more than a few minutes extra to get to anywhere during the peak rush hour as at the quietest time of day. I know I drive out and into Hout Bay 20 or 30 times a week!

Chapman's Peak Drive - 2 mins

Constantia Winelands - from 5 mins

Kirstenbosch Gardens - 10 mins

World of Birds - 4 mins

Newlands Rugby and Cricket Grounds - 15 mins

Bay Harbour Market - IMO the best weekend Market in Cape Town - 2 mins

Llandudno Beach - 5 mins

Camps Bay Beaches - 12 mins

Table Mountain Cableway - 20 mins

Cape Town Airport - 25 mins

V&A Waterfront - 25 mins

Restaurants - a choice of over 30 within 10 mins including La Colombe one of South Africa's top two restaurants and has been voted as high as 12 in the world (BTW La Colombe is now in Hout Bay not Constantia as they like to say!) - and Kitima voted South Africa's top Asian Restaurant two year's out of the past 5. Many other excellent places, but it is still easy to drive 20-30 mins to other areas in the city to try a wider range of restaurants. The drive back is safe and simple.

Excellent shopping with 5 major supermarkets and many other speciality shops - all within a few minutes. Easy 15-20 mins drive to two of Cape Town's major shopping Malls - Cavendish Square and Constantia Village.

So quite a few places within 30 mins- LOL! Then consider that to get to ANY of these places that you don't have to drive through Cape Town City Centre at all which at many times of the day could hold you up at least 15 - 30 mins on your journey.

Also easy routes, again without touching the City Centre, to the Cape Peninsula, Simon's Town, Boulders Beach, Stellenbosch and the Winelands. Hout Bay is certainly one of the best places to stay in and around Cape Town - borne out by the large numbers of excellent Guest Houses, B&Bs, apartments and cottages - some of the highest rated in Cape Town. Just read the thousands of 5 star reviews for these places on TA - https://www.tripadvisor.co.za/Hotels-g469392… Would they be this if we were "too far away from where everyone wants to go"?

Edited: 13 July 2016, 00:44
johannesburg
Level Contributor
58 posts
24 reviews
10. Re: Safety/suitability of Hout Bay

i think the last line says it all-- ''if WE were too far away..."". I think the writer owns a guest house in Hout Bay, so a vested interest maybe?

Reply to: Safety/suitability of Hout Bay
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Hout Bay
More Hout Bay Topics