We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fishmeal Factory

Stratford-upon-Avon
Level Contributor
17 posts
43 reviews
Fishmeal Factory

Please would someone advise how bad the smell from this factory is. I am proposing to stay above and behind Harbour Road. Is this area particularly affected.

6 replies to this topic
Cape Town, Western...
Level Contributor
119 posts
87 reviews
1. Re: Fishmeal Factory

Hi there,

I stay on the other side of the valley and have not been affected by the smell, but there has been quite a bit of complaining on local Facebook groups.

Perhaps try the other side of the valley, near Chapman's Peak.

Western Cape, South...
1 post
2. Re: Fishmeal Factory

I think the smell is worse in the harbour area, the further away you are from the factory the better

Edited: 25 February 2016, 09:33
Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,351 posts
3. Re: Fishmeal Factory

Hi. Like Kirsty I live in Hout Bay - and wouldn't live anywhere else!

Interested what prompted your post today, as yesterday was the first day for many months that there was a discernible smell. Combination of wind, weather and processing stage. But this is one of South Africa's major working Fishing ports. So it's hardly surprising that it sometimes smells of ............ well fish!!

Even close to the factory it's pretty rare. They have installed a lot of expensive equipment to contain the smell for those of us who live here and our many thousands of visitors. They are doing a rather good job, as days when the smell is strong occur only the odd day every few months. Today is again is a perfect summer's day. Beautiful sunshine, gorgeous scenery - and no smell!

But then Hout Bay is a working, active fishing port - not a Disneyland Stage Set. The bay is magnificently scenic but the working harbour, and the range of cultures and people this involves, is what gives us a real life community vibe - second to none around Cape Town.

If you prefer to stay somewhere polished, sterilised - and soulless, with only tourists to keep you company, then you could certainly stay up the road in Camps Bay.

Otherwise, if you are seriously allergic to the occasional Fish smells, then, as others suggest, maybe stay in another area of the Valley rather than right on the Harbour. There are dozens of great places listed here on TA - https://www.tripadvisor.co.za/Hotels-g469392…

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,871 posts
7 reviews
4. Re: Fishmeal Factory

Most of Hout Bay escapes the smell because fish meal season is at the time of the south-east wind.

Fish meal season is late summer (now till Easter). Today's wind is from the west and that is why VdC has a whiff of it today. But directly to the north-west of the factories (Marlin Crescent area) it is pretty horrendous in the season. In any case, the view from establishments over there is rather ugly too - not like they want to show on their websites. There are far nicer places to stay!

https://www.facebook.com/houtbaysmellsfishy/

iol.co.za/news/south-africa/western-cape/fis…

iol.co.za/capetimes/r11m-to-deal-with-hout-b…

Edited: 25 February 2016, 11:51
Cape Town, Western...
Level Contributor
119 posts
87 reviews
5. Re: Fishmeal Factory

What a disappointing response, Gerald. I lived in Hout Bay for 26 years, before moving to Sea Point, and consider it a wonderful place to stay. We have amazing restaurants and a wonderful sense of community. It's a feeling of "real" Cape Town.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,871 posts
7 reviews
6. Re: Fishmeal Factory

Kirsty, did you live behind the fish factory for 25 years? That is the area I have a problem with . . . . . not the whole of Hout Bay. I agree with you that Hout Bay is a great community. I would be very happy to live in 90% of it, but we can't whitewash the stinky factory for tourists.

I think this place is now closed down: http://www.accomsa.com/wcape/wc0032.php It practically looked down those chimneys.

Edited: 25 February 2016, 15:28
Reply to: Fishmeal Factory
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Hout Bay
More Hout Bay Topics