We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety in Hout Bay

Sonning-on-Thames...
1 post
Safety in Hout Bay

Our family has a villa booked in Albert Road during December. A few people have been asking me if it will be safe with the township nearby. I visited Hout Bay about 9 years ago and cannot remember the township being an issue. Do I need to be worried at all?

3 replies to this topic
Salford, United...
Level Contributor
3,334 posts
33 reviews
1. Re: Safety in Hout Bay

We visited last December and were staying in the Helgarda Estate area, which is relatively close to the township. We didn't have any issues and didn't feel unsafe. We walked extensively around the town and went out in the evenings. I understand that there were protests after the fire, earlier in the year, but these were about the speed at which township residents were being re-housed.

At the major junction near to our accommodation, there were often quite a few people from the township sitting around - we were told that they were waiting for casual work. They never bothered us. We used the car to get into town, but our hosts said that it was fine to walk, during the day.

You will be staying just behind a busy area of shops and restaurants and further away from where the township is located.

Durban, South Africa
Level Contributor
382 posts
28 reviews
2. Re: Safety in Hout Bay

Hi and Hout Bay has been in the news recently. When there are protests over issues then it is not a place to be around as roads get blocked and it becomes a nightmare to enter or leave the area.

Also there has been this incident a few weeks ago.

2oceansvibe.com/2017/…

Castleford, United...
Level Contributor
129 posts
96 reviews
3. Re: Safety in Hout Bay

Hi - we're here in Hout at the minute & all is good.

We actually stayed at the villa that was in the news about 18 months ago & it was lacking in security (alarms) so it doesn't surprise us that something happened there....

Hout is amazing & a little village and we love staying here.....come and enjoy x

Reply to: Safety in Hout Bay
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Hout Bay
More Hout Bay Topics