We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toms river restaurants

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,661 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Toms river restaurants

we are going to Tom's River NJ for a conference in late October. Are there are famous diners? I have a Zagat survey for NJ but didn't see anything of interest in the area. What about near by areas? Looking for food that is NJ like sea food. We live in NYC and have the best Italian nad Thia and my husband is chinese and cooks gourmet chinese so we are looking for more Americana food

Mentioned in this post
NJ
Level Contributor
1,830 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Toms river restaurants

Not famous but pretty good stuff

Old tyme tavern on route 166 just north of it's intersection with rt 37(on the southbound side of the street) they always had good lobster, their italian not to bad either.

Crabs Claw in Lavelette, have to go over to the beach on 37 then take 35 north to lavelette. crabs claw on the right. (north bound side) it's about 25 minutes from Toms River.

Haven't been in years but there is also the Lobster Shanty on the river in toms river (town proper)

Mentioned in this post
Toms River
Toms River
Jersey Shore, NJ
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,661 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Toms river restaurants

Thank you so much!!!!!!!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
217 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Toms river restaurants

Where not to eat - Tom's River Diner on East 37, east of Tom's River itself. People who work there are very nice and accomodating. Food was not up to the quality of other Jersey diners. We did not get sick or anything - something about the food did not seem to be very good. We saw other diners on East 37 - none seemed to have many cars in the parking lot - one indication we have of at least local popularity. Since this posting is after your conference, I would like to know if you found anything in the area, since we go to local parks near Tom's River and we would like to know where to grab a bite. The town itself looked a bit depressed. When we were driving through it we were hoping for a local spot to enjoye.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,661 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Toms river restaurants

Hi,

I don't mean to offend anyone but we hated Tom's River. I got food poisoning at what was supposed to be their best diner. I even forgot the name now. We love the Jersey shore and thought since it was close to the shore it might have the same kind of ambiance. No such luck. Everyone in the diner knew each other. It was very small town. Not quaint like Cape May or Spring Lake, just small town. We are never going back. Sorry I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings.

Mentioned in this post
Jersey Shore
Jersey Shore
New Jersey
Cape May
Cape May
Cape May County, NJ
NJ
Level Contributor
8 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Toms river restaurants

The sad thing is it's not really a small town. There are about 100,000 people here. Sorry you had a bad meal, no need to apologize. There are really only a few good places to eat around here I'm sorry you didn't hit the right one.

toms river, nj
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Toms river restaurants

The best place to eat, today in TR, is Mia's on route 37 going west about 2 miles west of the bridge to sea side. I have lived here over 30 years and Mia's is the best food these days.

NJ
Level Contributor
8 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Toms river restaurants

My Preference is the Downtown Dinner Club. New menu every two weeks by a FCI trained chef. Creative and reasonable.

8. Re: Toms river restaurants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2009, 03:19
Get answers to your questions about Toms River