We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

EWR via air train to Penn Station

Which Newark hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
England
Level Contributor
448 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
EWR via air train to Penn Station

Hi

Landing 11am EWR from HNL need one night stay before flight to

LHR at 9pm next day.

Wish to go into New York city, and price of hotel at Hilton Penn station much better then NYC prices.

Looking at EWR website im confused if the air train goes all the way to Penn Station Newark ?

If not how much cost to get from Air train terminus to Penn Station Newark ?

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
10,380 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: EWR via air train to Penn Station

I think you got an answer over on the NYC forum (including some rather rude answers, I thought) but the answer is yes, it goes to Newark Penn Station and I think the St. Louis person said there is a free shuttle from the Airtrain station to your hotel. But if not, the total cost will not be more than $12.50 because that's the cost to NY Penn STation. See tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28951-c175893/New-Je…

Edited: 29 April 2012, 22:59
England
Level Contributor
448 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: EWR via air train to Penn Station

Brillaint, thanks for your helpful reply.

A relative may be booking us a hotel - on the jersey shoreline near to the PATH train station. I know I can get a PATH train from Newark penn station to the jersey city shoreline, but how much will it cost to get the NJ transit train from Airstation to Newark Penn station where I can get the PATH.

Isnt it a shame they didnt terminate the air train line at Newark penn station where u could just get onto a path train.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
10,380 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: EWR via air train to Penn Station

The fare is $8.25 is the NJ Transit fare, travel time is less than 10 min

See www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv… and select Newark Airport to Newark Penn Station

It certainly would have been nice if they'd have taken Airtain into Newark! I suspect they don't have the capacity in terms of available tracks

Scotland
Level Contributor
199 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: EWR via air train to Penn Station

Don't know if this will be any help but we landed at Newark airport at 11.am - checked into Marriott Hotel right on the airport area (just a short ride in Marriott free minibus or walk across carpark from Terminal B), got early check in no problem - then hotel minibus to terminal P4 for airtrain to EWR and NJ Transit train to Penn Station New York (adult fare $25 return). We came back to Marriott for an excellent meal at night, with first class service, in lobby are arrival and departure boards for airport - a very relaxing and comfortable stay.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
10,380 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: EWR via air train to Penn Station

Anna, was that $25 round trip or one way? If one way then you probably took an Amtrak train as NJ transit would be half that with very frequent service

Scotland
Level Contributor
199 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: EWR via air train to Penn Station

I think I made a mistake with the tickets, saw it was $12.50 each way and should have bought a return from EWR but bought a single ticket to keep my options open. For return journey, at NY Penn I couldn't see an option to buy a ticket to EWR so bought one to Penn NJ, on train ticket inspector pointed out my mistake but couldn't upgrade my ticket so at EWR I paid an additional $5.50 to get airport ticket over and above approx $8 ticket. This was my own fault, I ought to have bought the return ticket.

Edited: 30 April 2012, 22:11
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,265 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: EWR via air train to Penn Station

Just to be clear, AirTrain doesn't take you all the way to Penn Station in downtown Newark. The AirTrain is a free monorail that takes you from any of the terminals at Newark airport to the Newak Airport train station, where you can connect to NJ Transit trains and Amtrak trains. From there, Newark Penn Station is just one stop away by an NJ Transit train. Don't take Amtrak--the fares are high and your trip is short. At Newark Penn Station, you can connect to the PATH.

See www.panynj.gov/airports/ewr-to-from.html and click the link to the AirTrain map.

AirTrain, NJ Transit, Amtrak, and PATH are all separate systems, with separate management and governance, but some stations in common.

In the 1970's, there was a plan to extend PATH to the airport and then to Plainfield NJ, but that never happened.

8. Re: EWR via air train to Penn Station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 02:41