We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Six Flags Great Adventure -- Yay or Nay?

Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,132 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
Six Flags Great Adventure -- Yay or Nay?

We're in NYC for a week, our second visit (29 Aug - 5 Sept) We're interested in maybe a day trip to Six Flags.

Though is it worth it? -- There seems to be some mixed reviews, about the park. We mainly just want to do the big thrill rides; Nitro, Superman, Bizarro, Batman, Great American Scream Machine, Rolling Thunder, El Toro and the new Kingda Ka.

Will we be able to do all the 13 coasters in a day? Will we need the express pass?

What about the Safari Park...worth a trip? I see it has tigers and dolphins -- which I love!

Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,132 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Six Flags Great Adventure -- Yay or Nay?

Well, we our definitely going to GA -- we have booked a car rental for the day, so we can get there for opening, and brought our tickets off the internet.

We're going on a Wednesday -- hopefully it should be quieter.

How's the drive from Newport Centre Mall, Jersey City? How time do you suggest we leave to get to the park ready for opening at 10:30am? Google Maps says about an 1hr30 on the I-95 S

Is there anywhere near the park for breakfast in the morning? And a place to grab some sandwiches to take into the park for lunch?

Manasquan, New...
Level Contributor
9 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Six Flags Great Adventure -- Yay or Nay?

You can't take food into the park. When you get off of 195 onto Monmouth Road there is a WaWa where you can get great coffee and order breakfast. You have to eat in in the parking lot though. There is also a McDonalds, BK, and Dunkin Donuts on the road before you turn into the park. But honestly the WaWa convenience store will have the best breakfast stuff.

West Windsor...
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
Level Contributor
11,613 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Six Flags Great Adventure -- Yay or Nay?

I would defenetly hit up the WAWA. Try there Iced Tea and Lemonade as well. Verry good store.

Wayne, New Jersey
Level Contributor
706 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Six Flags Great Adventure -- Yay or Nay?

There's a bunch of places to eat in the park for lunch. We went to Johnny Rockets; the kids picked up before they realized there was a Character Cafe.

We had a snack of the big pretzels as well - they were yummy but very large!

Wayne, New Jersey
Level Contributor
706 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Six Flags Great Adventure -- Yay or Nay?

Oh and we got our tickets for $15 each since I was lucky enough to catch their twitter offer!

I was one happy person! $50 did not thrill me! LOL!!

Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,132 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Six Flags Great Adventure -- Yay or Nay?

We went to GA and had a great time!!!

The park was better than i expected, I had read quite bad things about GA, and didn't encounter any problems. I would defo recommend it to anyone.

We didn't buy the express pass, we didn't need it anyway.

We arrived there just after opening, we went to Wawa to grab some breakfast -- it was delicious. We got into Wawa and my mum was like "eww, it's a gas station", how wrong she was. Wawa was amazing! She's now wishes we had one near home.

We got to the park and headed right, Batman was our first ride. No queue. My dad is let's say large, and was too large for Batman, and was unable to ride. This was this only downfall for the park, for all the rides didn't have larger seats [which we thought they would have]. So i had to ride by myself [my mum doens't do coasters], this was just like any other coaster I had ridden.

The Dark Knight was next, no queue again. This was alright.

Over to Nitro -- No wait,this has to be one of my most fave coasters ever! I love the over the lap restraint, when nearly doing vertical drops!!! We rode 3times in a row!

Skull Mountain -- walk on, kiddie ride :(

Bizaro -- 10mins wait.again like anyother caoster, bu a sound system in the seats

El Toro, old fashion wooden coaster. 5-10min wait. Another fave of mine, and only mine. Again my dad was too large for this coaster. He did miss out!

We didn't bother with Rolling Thunder, as we doubted Dad would fit.

Lunchtime -- Pizza

Then Superman 10mins wait, such an experience riding belly down, constant fear of falling to my death

Great American Scream, walk on, 7 loops.

Over to Kingda Ka -- had an hours wait. Dad was again too large to ride!!! This ride was the whole purpose of the trip, and we didn't ride it. Another yr.

We also saw the Dolphin & Sealion show, and the Tiger show. Both very good!!

Great day trip, and a lovely sunny day!

27. Re: Six Flags Great Adventure -- Yay or Nay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 March 2010, 04:15
Get answers to your questions about Jackson