We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is southern Hackensack safe? Is South Hackensack safe?

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Is southern Hackensack safe? Is South Hackensack safe?

Is South Hackensack, NJ a safe neighborhood? I may stay there for a few nights.

Some sources say nearby Teterboro, NJ is very dangerous.

5 replies to this topic
Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
Level Contributor
12,570 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is southern Hackensack safe? Is South Hackensack safe?

Are you talking about the side of the City of Hakensack or the Boro of South Hackensack. The Boro of South Hackensack is one for municipalities divided into non continuos segments (Egg Harbor Township, Haddon, and Middletown are the others.). I believe Teterboro has less than 20 residents in their Boro so the crime stats maybe skewed a little. Also you could be staying in a part of South Hackensack nowhere near Teterboro.

new york
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
9,512 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is southern Hackensack safe? Is South Hackensack safe?

I've been there, near Teterboro, many times, and including anyone I've ever known, we've never heard of anything out of the normal there. What sources did you consult, and what did they consider "dangerous"—the weather or nearby flying objects?

port republic
Level Contributor
2,488 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is southern Hackensack safe? Is South Hackensack safe?

Teterboro, Little Ferry and South Hackensack all converge along a fairly busy older commercial stretch of Rt 46

there are some lower budget hotels, lots of fast food joints,a diner, used car lots, gas station, auto parts, liquor store, and so on. A gritty looking neighborhood. I can't say if it is dangerous or not. I wouldn't be concerned, if the hotel I was in had good reviews. just go about your business. be aware that this is not an upscale development at all.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
12,190 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is southern Hackensack safe? Is South Hackensack safe?

No, they're not dangerous. I live not too far away. All the above towns. What brings you here?

new york
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
9,512 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is southern Hackensack safe? Is South Hackensack safe?

As noted, there are some busy roads in the area, so someone unfamiliar with the area driving during the worst times might find the traffic dangerous. If that's your concern??

Reply to: Is southern Hackensack safe? Is South Hackensack safe?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Hackensack