We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should a pool be a priority or nice room?

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Windsor
10 posts
Save Topic
Should a pool be a priority or nice room?

Going to vegas May 5-8, we are two 25 year old females and it will be the first time for each. A fun pool to hang out at during the day is a big priority for us and it's either MGM or Mandalay Bay for that by what I researched. However we still want to party at night and stay somewhere nice, so we decided on the Cosmo for that. Also Planet Hollywood ended up somewhere on our list as well just by the fact it seems like a good place for young people.

Now the big question is, where the heck do we stay? No budget issues or anything. And I'm open to all suggestions.

Thanks!

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,857 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should a pool be a priority or nice room?

Discount MGM and PH if hotel is important to you. PH also doesn't have a good pool area. Mandalay Bay has the nicest pool area in Vegas and also nice rooms. Cosmo is in a better location, very nice for your age range, don't know about the pool scene there. Hopefully, others can help with that info.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should a pool be a priority or nice room?

Your title is confusing, you ask which one should be priority but then say you want a fun pool to hang out at. So I guess, I will guess, pool is your priority?

If so, then PH is at the bottom of your mentioned list. If it is clubs and atmosphere, and nightlife the PH should be at or near the top of your list. Alot of your age peeps hang there, and it gets jumping pretty good most nights.

For all around entertainment and Pools, I would say MGM, great pool, tons of bars and nightlife, etc.

Mandalay bay I have never stayed at and cant comment, although their pools look great, never been in them, just walked by them.

Cosmo, same thing, cant comment..

Tempe, AZ
Level Contributor
10,179 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should a pool be a priority or nice room?

I don't think MGM is taking arrivals on May 5th due to the fight.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
277 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should a pool be a priority or nice room?

Just book a room that has it's own pool. That should do it! In all honesty the PH pool is not what you are looking for. Encore has a great set up and though location isn't ideal as nice as the Mandalay Bay's pool is, the location is 100 times worse. Never been to Cosmo.

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,193 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should a pool be a priority or nice room?

'100 times worse'

I've heard it all! Brilliant.

kattygirl
Level Contributor
407 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Should a pool be a priority or nice room?

I've stayed at both but never used M.Bay pool I will this summer... Now MGM great pool area and also adult only pool YEAAAA..Get there early fills up fast if you stay there also really like MGM but they have not comped me this year yet M. Bay has so we picked there again...

Windsor
10 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Should a pool be a priority or nice room?

Okay, thanks for the advice everyone!

BoxingJohn...MGM can still be booked through expedia.com but on their website I can't get anything.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
821 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Should a pool be a priority or nice room?

Do you want to go to pool parties, or just hang by the pool? If pool parties are factored in, I would suggest not staying at PH.

I happen to love Mandalay Bay, but beware, there are lots of kids. When we go (we are two 29 year-old girls), we always get a cabana by one of the lagoon pools, which is fabulous. Another option at Mandalay Bay is Moorea, which would solve the kid issue. The rooms at Mandalay Bay are very nice, but for your first trip, I don't know if you want to be that far down on the strip (not a deal breaker though if you like the look of the pool/rooms).

MGM has Wet Republic, so you can do the normal pool area or do the pool party. I have never stayed here so I can't comment on the rooms.

Not that you asked for additional recommendations, but consider Venetian/Palazzo as well. The rooms are much larger and would be well suited to two girls getting ready at the same time, and their pool areas are fabulous. Plus, they have Tao Beach. The nice thing about V/P is you are close to Wynn/Encore if you want to go to the Beach Club there.

Of all the options, for your first trip, if you budget would allow it, check out Venetian/Palazzo.

California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
40,733 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Should a pool be a priority or nice room?

Mandalay Bay is a VASTLY superior hotel compared to MGM or PH. And if you want to step up even higher, look at THEhotel.

I agree that either Mandalay Bay or Cosmopolitan is your best choice, although Cosmo will be at a much higher price point.

Tacoma,WA
Level Contributor
911 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Should a pool be a priority or nice room?

Flamingo is center strip, great pool, and you could do a Go room