We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How many replies are TOO many?

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
North Cape May, Nj
Level Contributor
8,583 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
How many replies are TOO many?

There is a lot of great information on this forum provided by some very knowledgeable people. New threads disappear from the first few pages quickly due to the popularity of this forum. I can't possibly read through many of the replies, so I wonder if TA should place a limit and then freeze the thread. As I started to write this, there were five threads that had responses today that ranged from 54 responses to 176. Even if the topic is of interest. I find myself just reading a few in the beginning and, maybe, a few at the end. I just wonder if everyone would glean more information if the number of replies was kept to a reasonable amount. Just a thought. I don't have a figure in mind, but it would certainly be fewer than 50.

Boston
Level Contributor
2,247 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How many replies are TOO many?

Start your own board and then you can be King of the Marshmallows.

yourstarla
Level Contributor
11,222 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How many replies are TOO many?

I can understand what you're saying, but if someone writes a trip report and has say eight installments, that only gives leeway to 42 people to respond to it, and doesn't give a lot of room to respond to any questions people might pose.

Kenosha, WI
Level Contributor
11,961 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How many replies are TOO many?

How else would we inflate our post counts????

Connecticut
Level Contributor
10,597 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How many replies are TOO many?

Two are one too many if the question has one specific answer.

Most topics involve opinions. With so many members there are going to be a lot of replies.

Most people don't seem to read any of the replies. Often times a persons will ask if they should do A or B, decide by the 5th post to do A, yet folks continue to reply for several more pages. I have to laugh at those who reply to a topic that is almost a year old, and the OP's trip has come and gone.

None of it really matters in the grand scheme. You can easily sift the topics to see if you can get something from them by reading them, and skip the rest.

vp03 told me that if and when I get 10000 posts I get a free lollypop from TA, a puppy when I reach 20000, and a free trip to the Jersey Shore for 30000 ;)

Edited: 03 February 2012, 16:23
yourstarla
Level Contributor
11,222 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How many replies are TOO many?

Oooh Ooh a free trip to the Jersey Shore for 30,000? Must. Up. Post. Count. LOL :)

Connecticut
Level Contributor
10,597 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How many replies are TOO many?

Yikes! And I edited that post. I'm a sad case. :/

California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
39,934 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How many replies are TOO many?

In a perfect world there would be seperate forums for Trip Reports and M&G planning. This would eliminate a lot of the posts that seem to last forever. But I have no idea how hard this would be for TA to implement.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
12,600 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How many replies are TOO many?

It's an interesting thought; there's enough traffic on this forum that I think it could support being broken into sub-forums, Trip Reports, Trip Planning, Social (M&G's, Countdowns, etc), etc...

Not sure how sophisticated the TA forum software is though. It would also be nice if there was an "ignore topic" feature, just so people could filter out topics that aren't of interest to them, and reduce the clutter on their screens.

Jersey
Level Contributor
31,600 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: How many replies are TOO many?

But only for you btr- not for just anybody!!!! ;-)

When I see a thread with a very big number of replies, I tend to skip it rather than reading through all the post to see if there is something I can add. However, if I were the person asking for an opinion on a restaurant, show, bar, etc. I would want as many replies at possible.

As far as one specific answer- If I wanted info for something specific (not an opinion), I would want to make sure that the info is correct and for that I would want more than one person to reply. Who knows if that first reply is correct?

North Cape May, Nj
Level Contributor
8,583 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How many replies are TOO many?

30000 would be a bargain for many towns in Cape May County. TA rates the Cape May beach as 2nd in the USA to Myrtle Beach. No Snookies here. LOL.

Nobody would confuse Avalon or Stone Harbor with Seaside Heights. I digress. I'm not sure what "King of the Marshmallows" means, but I have a feeling that it isn't a compliment. LOL.