We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Borders Vegas to close...

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brighton
Level Contributor
4,030 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Borders Vegas to close...

It's all over for Borders and the liquidators are moving in - very, very sad news, especially as there had been hopes to save it earlier this week. 11,000 people will lose their jobs with the chain - not sure about their online presence or Kobo.

quillandquire.com/blog/…

Looks like the timescale will see it closing by Sept. Very speedy!

Borders was a huge draw to Town Square so I wonder what will replace it. And where we'll buy our books in Vegas now.

Jersey
Level Contributor
31,600 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Borders Vegas to close...

I thought of you yesterday when I read about this and remembered your previous thead, Quaffed.

It is very sad- for Vegas and for bookstores everywhere. There is nothing like browsing through shelves of books. It just isn't the same when looking online.

I never used the one in Town Square, but I did use the one on Decatur. I just hope my local B&N remains open.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,857 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Borders Vegas to close...

I'm sorry to see it go as well. However, Barnes and Noble has always been my favourite. There must be some of those in Vegas, they are the biggest chain of book sellers in the US I believe.

New York
Level Contributor
5,520 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Borders Vegas to close...

Yep. All the Borders but one here in New York City are closing as well.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
48,709 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Borders Vegas to close...

"Yep. All the Borders but one here in New York City are closing as well."

I'm surprised at the "but one" part., I thought the entire chain was going into liquidation.

San Diego
Level Contributor
4,882 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Borders Vegas to close...

All the borders stores everywhere are closing and its their own fault.

I guess the higher ups never heard of companies like amazon until now.

They should have seen the writing on the wall. its just like blockbuster. inflexible and now they are paying the price for it.

I feel bad for all of the workers though.

Winchester, United...
Level Contributor
269 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Borders Vegas to close...

Although loved the Borders we had in the UK, it was so pricey compared to buying online. I guess the rental was too high and so they had to charge the prices they did.

We visited the Borders at Town Square last year - have to say wasn't that impressed with it compared to visiting other US Borders stores. So on this occasion won't be sorry to see it go.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
169 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Borders Vegas to close...

"And where we'll buy our books in Vegas now."

Get a Nook, you can buy your books from the comfort of your pool lounger.

(Don't hate me, I love books and books stores and I am a former bookseller, but I love my Nook.)

New York
Level Contributor
5,520 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Borders Vegas to close...

I think the "one" will be open for a little while longer then close.

Cottage Grove...
Level Contributor
2,655 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Borders Vegas to close...

It is too bad, but it is really too bad they couldn't have been more competitive in their pricing. Sometimes they would send me a 20/30% coupon and even with that, Amazon would still usually beat their prices.

I love to wander around a bookstore, even though I have a Kindle. Specialty books (travel, cooking) have to be in actual book form.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
697 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Borders Vegas to close...

A lot of business models are changing.

Many. like bookstores and other specialty retailers of hard goods , are closing because people go there to look for a book , find what they want and then go online to get it for 2 dollars cheaper. Then they whine when the retail location goes out of business. Having a hundred thousand dollars worth of inventory in books is expensive for a coffee shop.