We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TR Mar 9 - 13 - Wife's First trip to Vegas!

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Warwick, United...
Level Contributor
638 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
TR Mar 9 - 13 - Wife's First trip to Vegas!

I first went to Vegas in October 2010, with the lads, on an all expenses paid trip. We stopped at the MGM & instantly I became hooked on the place!! Now, a trip to Vegas with the boys is great, but I wanted to experience Vegas in a different light without feeling like death after 2hrs sleep in 5 days ;-)

So the mission was to convince my beautiful wife that we needed a little time away together, and that Vegas was the place for us. It took weeks of persuading, and checking prices on a daily basis, before i found (what I consider to be) a ridiculously cheap flight + hotel deal for The Wynn & she finally cracked.

That's when I turned to this forum - for ideas of where to eat, where to drink & where to generally enjoy Vegas to the max!! As i'd already been & enjoyed some of the excellent restaurants (Prime, Botero, Olives, Wing Lei) I wanted us to experience somewhere new for both of us, and thanks to the excellent suggestions on this forum that's exactly what we got! I also used an apple app called Viva Las Vegas which, if you haven't seen it, is an absolute must for Vegas with reviews on everything!! Seriously the best £1.79 i've EVER spent.....a great help before & during our trip!

We returned this morning & had such a fantastic time, and because of the help we received from everyone here I decided to do my 1st trip report - I hope you enjoy it!

Hotlando, Fl
Level Contributor
9,198 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TR Mar 9 - 13 - Wife's First trip to Vegas!

Looking forward to reading it.

Newcastle, UK
Level Contributor
1,589 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TR Mar 9 - 13 - Wife's First trip to Vegas!

Yes....bring it on!

Cheers

Davy !!!

Westbrook, Maine
Level Contributor
660 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TR Mar 9 - 13 - Wife's First trip to Vegas!

Yippee! Can't wait!

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
792 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: TR Mar 9 - 13 - Wife's First trip to Vegas!

Waiting waiting!

virginia
Level Contributor
2,964 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: TR Mar 9 - 13 - Wife's First trip to Vegas!

Can't wait for this report.... :)

Newcastle, UK
Level Contributor
1,589 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: TR Mar 9 - 13 - Wife's First trip to Vegas!

You did have the first few days pre written in Word didn't you?

Didn't you???????

Cheers

Davy !!!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: TR Mar 9 - 13 - Wife's First trip to Vegas!

We are waiting with baited breath.

Warwick, United...
Level Contributor
638 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: TR Mar 9 - 13 - Wife's First trip to Vegas!

Day 1 - Wednesday 9th March 2011

We dispached the kids to the grandparents the night before & finally finished packing at 1am. Woke at 5:45am & headed to London Gatwick for our Virgin Atlantic flight direct to McCarran. We used valet parking (GLS Parking) which cost us £35 for the 5 days, which was hassel free & meant we had plenty of time for a nice breakfast at Cafe Rouge before our flight.

Virgin use their oldest planes for this route & they're looking tired. There are issues with the back seat screens not working, and indeed ours packed in with 3hrs of our flight left. Having sank a few G&T's, and having my iPod to hand, it certainly wasn't going to ruin my trip!

We arrived an hour later than scheduled, which wouldn't ordinarily be a problem, but i'd booked a suprise limo (sedan) transfer from Presidential Limo Service & I was worried i'd be charged from the time i'd originally arranged the pickup for. Having departed the plane we got through passport control in record time & was met outside by Daniel from Presidential & an upgraded limo for no extra charge. The wife was very happy with the suprise, so a few extra brownie points for me!! We asked to be taken via the sign, for photo's, and then down the strip to The Wynn. We got to the sign & Daniel was more than happy to take some snaps for us & give us info as we travelled down the strip to our hotel. Although we were only at the sign for 5 minutes, we spotted 3 bridal parties all waiting to have their photo's taken! Once at The Wynn, I settled with Daniel & was happy to have only been charged for 1 hour so left him with a $20 tip.

Having taken over 30 minutes to check in at the MGM on my last trip I was delighted that check in at The Wynn was empty! We were not offered an upgrade nor did we request anything as we figured whatever we got would be good, such are the reviews for this hotel! We ended up on the 22nd floor with a strip view looking out towards Treasure Island, Trump Tower & the mountains in the distance - I was in heaven!! Such was the view that the curtains remained open for our entire trip! Now, I find it hard to believe that there are better 'standard' resort rooms anywhere in Vegas, which inluded a Flatscreen TV, a King Size Bed, Sofa, Seperate Shower Cubicle, Deep Bath & Seperate Toilet. The electronic panel for lights & drapes just added to the 5* experience.

We unpacked, showered & watched the Sirens of TI show from the comfort of our room before heading on down to Parasol Down for cocktails. We had a $100 resort credit included, so we figured what better way to start every evening than with a cocktail on the house! We then explored the hotel before heading on out for the evening.

We wanted to visit every hotel possible during our stay, so i'd had a loose itinerary in my head that would allow us to do just that. I'd chosen The Steakhouse for our 1st meal, so we made our way out of the hotel on foot & headed north along the strip towards The Riveria. Having seen the place many times in films and in photo's it was sad to see it in such a rundown empty state - it looked desperate! We stayed for a quick $10 on Wheel of Fortune & left. I'll add here that my wife is not a gambler, so we decided we'd probably play more slots than table games on this trip. We then crossed the road & made our way into the hell hole that is Circus Circus - except it wasn't. Having read all the reviews & having seen it from the outside I was expecting the worst, but it was nowhere near as bad as others have made out. Obviously we didn't see the rooms, but in our experience this was not the dump it's made out to be & there weren't hoardes of children running round the place as has been reported. We made our way straight to The Steakhouse, but were told it would be a 20min wait for a table so we went for a wander round before sitting down at another WOF machine & enjoying a couple of G&T's courtesy of the cocktail waitress. We won $110 off of $20, so things were looking up & we headed back to the restaurant.

The Steakhouse has enjoyed good reviews in the past, but things are on the downturn if recent reviews are to be believed. I ordered a rare New York Strip with caesar salaed , whilst the wife ordered a rare Filet Mignon with the house salad. Mine was a very nice piece of steak, cooked perfectly and the caesar salad was also very good. Now, we've eaten steaks in a lot of high class restaurants all over the world, but my wife claims that the Filet Mignon was THE BEST steak she's ever had!! The wine list was a little restricted but none the less we enjoyed the bottle we ordered. The whole meal came to around $140 with tip so we were more than happy as we left Circus Circus & headed back down the strip (via Slots O Fun) to The Wynn.

We had another drink in The Wynn & another $10 in WOF where my wife won $160 - so a fairly succesful 1st day. Jet lag was catching up with us, so we decided to hit the sack at around 11:45pm

Warwick, United...
Level Contributor
638 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: TR Mar 9 - 13 - Wife's First trip to Vegas!

As it's so fresh in the mind, they're going to be fairly lengthy. I'll do the next day of our trip tomorrow, providing you all enjoy what you've read so far.

Newcastle, UK
Level Contributor
1,589 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: TR Mar 9 - 13 - Wife's First trip to Vegas!

Great start and congrats on the win.

Never dreamed you would stay at the Wynn, then head up to the Riviera and Circus Circus first.

Might try that steak house as it does get some great reviews compared to the rest of the place.

Looking forward to the rest now.

Cheers

Davy !!!