We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking and Restaurants near Doubletree Union Station

Palatine, Illinois
Level Contributor
471 posts
58 reviews
Parking and Restaurants near Doubletree Union Station

Just wondering if I can avoid the $16 self-park fee or $24 valet at this hotel. Also, should I be willing to venture out alone (older woman) for dinner in the area or just dine at the hotel? Thank you!

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
81 posts
73 reviews
1. Re: Parking and Restaurants near Doubletree Union Station

i've lived downtown for 10 years now.....and am 45 yo..... i walk my dog through most of downtown except in that part - BUT, i would walk to any of the 3 restaurants as they are very close to the hotel. it's very quiet in the evenings unless there is an event at Scottrade or Peabody.

there's not much to do on that side of downtown - restaurants....Harry's is ok - was fine dining turned somewhat young & clubby restaurant - has a 3am liquor license & gets very young & hip on weekends. if you're coming in the summer though - their deck as great views, Sybergs is great (same family, local chain, consistant & inexpensive). Maggie O'Briens is good but has seen better days.

unless you have a rental, i also would valet park my car at the hotel - that part of downtown is VERY quiet unless an event is happening. and the lot's on that side of downtown are suface lots & not all are manned 24 hours (call the hotel & ask). although, truth be told even if you valet the hotel is not responsible if someone breaks into your car...but usually they'll be more sympathic & prone to offer assistance. unfortunately, STL (like most downtown metropolitain area's) have issues with bands of kids breaking into cars (they use an air gun to punch your lock so your alarm doesnt' sound).

hope my opinion helps you!

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
81 posts
73 reviews
2. Re: Parking and Restaurants near Doubletree Union Station

ps -

i see your from CHI area.....if i was you, i'd head down to CHI Union Station and catch the MegaBus. that will take you direclty into STL Union Station with no stops along the way (trians between STL/CHI can be delayed greatly if it's also a cargo train)....which, now, ironically is about 2 blocks from the Doubltree. The Doubltree has a shuttle that may be able to pick you & your luggage up from the Train Station.

I've been able to get a $2 one way ticket from STL to CHI on MegaBus on a few occassions, but the most i ever paid one way is $26. I LOVE MegaBus....great experiences!

Palatine, Illinois
Level Contributor
471 posts
58 reviews
3. Re: Parking and Restaurants near Doubletree Union Station

Just back and loved the Doubletree! Parked at the self-park which was only $14 if paid through the hotel- they'll give you a hang tag. The area was quite bustling at that time due to a hockey game starting soon, so I didn't feel uneasy in any way. I got a complimentary upgrade to the executive lounge and from what was available there, could have had an entire dinner. As it turned out, a friend who was unexpectedly in town at the same time joined me and we had dinner on the Hill. We walked through the large and very dark parking area to the south of the hotel, across the old railroad tracks and platforms to find her car, which was near the Hard Rock Café. I would have been uncomfortable if alone in that area.

St. Louis
Destination Expert
for Saint Louis
Level Contributor
2,953 posts
66 reviews
4. Re: Parking and Restaurants near Doubletree Union Station

Thanks for much for coming back and posting. I'm surprised it was so dark close to the Hard Rock, then again, Union Station is not exactly a hotspot. I'm glad it was bustling due to the hockey game.

Sorry I neglected to tell you about Lombardo's, a pretty good Italian restaurant in the basement of the Union Station Drury Inn. That would have been a good choice if you didn't want to drive. I hope you found a good meal on the Hill. We love the area, but not many of the restaurants, really.

5. Re: Parking and Restaurants near Doubletree Union Station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 January 2015, 05:18