We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental Car?

Which Kansas City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Topic
Rental Car?

Never been to KC, but going soon and wondering how important a rental car is for getting around. Do you really need it or is KC a safe, walkable city? I will likely be staying downtown.

STL
Level Contributor
422 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental Car?

I wouldn’t consider KC walkable at all. It’s a very spread out metro area.

Even the airport is way out of town.

kansas city
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental Car?

Downtown is walkable if you stay around power and light distict. if you do not want to mess with car- cabs are readily available at downtown hotels

Kansas City
Level Contributor
416 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental Car?

What will you be doing here and how long will you be staying. . . that's what will determine your need for a car.

Missouri, USA
Level Contributor
131 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental Car?

Like the others - I agree there is more to consider before we can answer you very well. If you plan to see the sites, you will need a car. If you are only staying overnight and won't have much time to do anything, you can probably pull it off without one depending on where you are staying.

KC is VERY spread out and basically requires a car.

Kansas
Level Contributor
629 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rental Car?

In Kansas City, you almost need a car just to get from your hotel lobby to your room. Without a car, you'll be severely limited. Unfortunately, rental cars are extremlely high as fees and taxes are among the highest in the country.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,687 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rental Car?

Three hotel/attraction areas are quite walkable: Downtown, Crown Center and the Plaza. They all fall within about a five mile north-south corridor. And, should you wish to connect any of these three areas, you can easily do so by cab (or trolley/bus service.) We do it all the time.

Similar to other cities, transportation to/from the airport is unreasonalbly pricey (imo)...averaging between $40-$65 one-way. However, if you rent a car, you may want to ask if/what the cost of parking at your hotel will be. It can help shape your decision.

If you're staying in a suburban hotel/motel, you will definitely want a car to get around town.

As for the issue of personal safety, the three areas mentioned above provide visible security services. And, as is the case in every urban community, saavy visitors practice basic personal safety tenets. As far as KC's safety ranking, though, it is nowhere near the top of the most-dangerous-cities-in-America list...In recent years, I believe that unfortunate honor has been volleyed back and forth between Detroit and...St.Louis. I don't recall whose side of the net that ball landed on this year.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,383 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rental Car?

In my experience, transportation to and from the airport is much more expensive in KC. Even more than in cities like LA or NYC.

8. Re: Rental Car?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2009, 09:18
Get answers to your questions about Kansas City
Recent Conversations