We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any Advice for Sayulita Days?

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
925 posts
51 reviews
Any Advice for Sayulita Days?

My husband and I will be Sayulita from 2/19 to 3/6. We're looking forward to being there during Sayulita Days and am wondering if anyone would care to share with us what they think is fun about it and/or which things to aware of. I also have some questions.

First off, I want to make sure tourists are welcome. When visiting St. Lucia during a similar festival it was clear that the local people in town did not want us there. I understand if this is something the locals like to enjoy for themselves. Living in a tourist destination ourselves I know it can sometimes seem like you just can't get away from all of the visitors. But if we are welcome can anyone help with the following questions?

1 -We are staying on the north side of town and have read it can be really loud some nights. We're prepared for that with earplugs. Is it fun for 50 somethings to go listen to the bands or is it more for the younger folk?

2 - I read there is a parade. Is that usually on the weekend or on the 24th?

3 - Is there a rodeo or horse related activities?

4- What is a popular carnival type food? Anything that we must try or avoid?

5 - Will there be issues with ATMs running out of pesos? Should we stock up on pesos at the airport to get us through those days?

6 -Will the Friday Farmer's Market still be held on the 20th?

Thinking about the warmth and sunshine is getting me thru our cold winter days right now, so any information for me to ponder would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Sayulita
Level Contributor
855 posts
42 reviews
1. Re: Any Advice for Sayulita Days?

You've asked some excellent questions and I'll try to answer them as best I can.

Tourists are extremely welcome, to both the carnival in the ballfield and to the parade. While it's put on for the local Mexican population, they're a very welcoming group here. I believe they'd think it odd if foreigners didn't show up!

1. Depending on where on the North Side you're staying, you may be completely fine with any noise. The carnival is in the ballfield which you may or may not overlook, but music and rides, generally speaking, don't go past 11pm. Earplugs are always a good idea anywhere in Mexico!

2. The parade is always on the 24th. Not only is that Sayulita Day specifically (each town and city has their 'day'), it's also Flag Day, which is a national holiday.

3. There is usually a rodeo, but not always. It's called a "jaripeo'. Look for signs around town. The rodeo ring is out near the highway, on your left. No shade during the day and it can get very hot, so bring a good shade hat.

4. The food vendors are mostly from adjoining states with their own regional foods. Can't think of anything at the moment that you must try and haven't had anything that you should avoid. Of course, churros are always popular but you can get them here in town every evening.

5. Never had a problem with ATMs running out of money.

6. Yes, the farmers' market will be held on the 20th. 10a.m.-2p.m., behind the Comex store on Revolucion.

These are all my personal thoughts and opinions - I'm sure others will have lots of information as well for you.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
925 posts
51 reviews
2. Re: Any Advice for Sayulita Days?

Thanks so much for the information. It's good to hear that we will be welcome as I am looking forward to the festivities. It is always (with the exception I mentioned) fun to visit a town when there is something special going on.

3. Re: Any Advice for Sayulita Days?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 January 2016, 06:16