We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sewerlita

Forida
Level Contributor
16 posts
72 reviews
Sewerlita

Sayulita reminds me of the song “No one is to blame” by Howard Jones: “You can look at the menu but you just can't eat, You can feel the cushions but you can't have a seat, You can dip your foot in the pool but you can't have a swim”

To me that is Sayulita. Go into the water and risk being sick... eat at the local restaurants and risk being sick. The biggest problem is the sewage and water treatment plant. It is apparently owned by a private individual, not the municipality, not the county, not the federal government. Yes, large amounts of untreated waste is being dumped into the bay. That is the truth. The water treatment plant's output is also dangerous. Business leaders need to get their stuff together and rectify the problem. The reputation will be such that nobody will want to visit at risks to their health. Staying here… Swimming here…. Eating here… It's a version of Russian roulette.

After arriving our first day here we saw numerous people throwing up. Story after story about people being sick. And the smell...the smell of human waste coming off the water. Yuck. There was no way…. No way we were going into the water. Every day we took a drive and went swimming at a beach miles out of town and out of the bay.

We did eat in town every night. Tried to pick the best restaurants in town but alas… On the seventh day my girlfriend started vomiting in the airplane on the way home and has been sick for the past couple of days.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that most people are probably getting sick from a combination of raw human waste being dumped into the Bay and/or the poorly treated water. Fix these problems and I'll bet much of the sickness will go away. Leave it untreated and all the tourists will go away.

Edited: 27 March 2017, 04:15
7 replies to this topic
British Columbia...
Level Contributor
407 posts
29 reviews
1. Re: Sewerlita

This problem has been ongoing for a long time and I can't believe people are still going! Why waste vacation time and money when you know there is a VERY good chance you'll get sick??

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
307 posts
8 reviews
2. Re: Sewerlita

For us, we didn't know about it! I thought we just got unlucky when two in our family got sick in November 2016 and that my friends (who went on our recommendation!) also got unlucky when they all got sick in February 2017. It wasn't until I read a recent review of our condo complex that indicated everyone in their party got sick as well. That was when I googled "Sayulita norovirus" and came up with all these threads. We've gone every year for the past three years, but we won't be returning. I have warned all my friends who expressed interest in going to skip it and one family who already has plane tickets is attempting to stay somewhere else. Honestly, I don't know why this hasn't been a big newspaper/media story because it is no joke how many people are getting terribly sick there.

B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
13,043 posts
142 reviews
3. Re: Sewerlita

Read the Date of this Post.. 2007 !!!!!

https:/…7016784

Long Time Issue... Just getting Worse..

Edited: 27 March 2017, 15:40
Forida
Level Contributor
16 posts
72 reviews
4. Re: Sewerlita

Good find on your part. Was unaware that this dated back that far.

Sturgeon Bay...
Level Contributor
329 posts
25 reviews
5. Re: Sewerlita

Sewerlita - good one!

How about Pueblo alcantarillado magico.

1 post
6. Re: Sewerlita

An update on sickness: Three of our four Americans got sick while three of the three locals did not get sick. I've been to Mexico a dozen times, to many different places and never been sick before. We drank only bottled water but did eat at restaurants, have drinks with ice, and swim in the bay. The river was completely dry so we did not see any dirty water going into the bay so we thought we were safe.

Sayulita
Level Contributor
865 posts
43 reviews
7. Re: Sewerlita

Thanks for the update, Alan L. Sorry to hear of your American friends getting sick. Here at our rental property. eight out of eight visitors, all of whom have been here for more than a week, are doing just fine. One was down for a day but he put it down to too much tequila and too much sun the day before. I'm glad to hear you had a great time here in Sayulita.

Reply to: Sewerlita
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted