We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety in Jackson and dinner suggestions

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Safety in Jackson and dinner suggestions

Hello,

My boyfriend and I will be flying into Jackson to start a road trip around New Year's. We are only in Jackson one night/day so we are hoping to get a decent southern meal and visit the brand new Civil Rights museum. I have booked us a night at the Best Western and we will have a rental car. We are both in our mid-late twenties - I am a small woman, he's a 6 foot tall, 200 pound fit guy. I have traveled extensively in the US as a solo traveler and have never had any problems. I am not usually the worrying type, but I've been told that Jackson is relatively dangerous.

Should we avoid walking after dark? For example, from the best western to an area with restaurants for dinner 20 minutes away? Would we be wiser to take the car? How easy is parking? How cheap are taxis? Are there parts of town to avoid completely, for example, if I want to go for an afternoon run?

I would also appreciate dinner recommendations... nothing fancy, just good home cooked food. :)

We are from a large Canadian city where safety is never really an issue (even for me as a small woman walking alone at 3 am...), and parking here is impossible, so walking is our go to method of transportation.

Thanks for any advice!

Mentioned in this post
Jackson
Jackson
Mississippi
3 replies to this topic
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
33,800 posts
496 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety in Jackson and dinner suggestions

We have driven thru Jackson lots of times and have actually stayed there once. We stayed north out near the mall at a Holiday Inn express.

If we are heading somewhere it is usually west and we just drive 30 minutes to the MS river and stay in Vicksburg and eat delicious meals at Walnut Hill , 10 South or Rusty's.

There are parts of any large city where I would not go walking at night and Jackson just happens to have more areas of concern imo.

Mentioned in this post
Jackson
Jackson
Mississippi
Vicksburg
Vicksburg
Mississippi
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
33,800 posts
496 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety in Jackson and dinner suggestions

Oh you mean the new one that is not even open yet.

https://mcrm.mdah.ms.gov/

I think it is planned to be open in December. I know they will be closed on Mondays.

During the holidays I would call once they are open to be sure of their holiday hours. We have been to a number of places in MS during the holidays like Faulkner's Rowan Oak and Elvis boyhood home and church and they had special holiday hours not posted on their website.

Edited: 22 September 2017, 00:09
Jackson, MS
Level Contributor
105 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety in Jackson and dinner suggestions

I would take the car to dinner from the Best Western, not so much because it is unsafe but that's not really a walking area with good restaurants nearby. You are a quick drive to the Fondren area, where you could eat at Walkers, Babalu, or Saltine. You are also not far from Char, a good steak/seafood restaurant in Jackson.

I don't think Jackson is any less safe than any other city of its size, but there are areas you want to stay away from. And unfortunately it's not really a walking town. But you can find plenty of good restaurants and some good shopping in Flowood and Ridgeland.

Mentioned in this post
Walker's Drive In
Walker's Drive In
492 Reviews
Jackson, MS
Saltine
Saltine
152 Reviews
Jackson, MS
Jackson
Jackson
Mississippi