We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Development in Jackson

Chicago, IL
6 posts
Save Topic
Hotel Development in Jackson

I was curious of the development of new hotels in Jackson; although, according to the latest census, the population of the city is over 170,000 people. Does anyone thinks that the city will increase in population and economy soon?

2 replies to this topic
Crystal Springs...
Level Contributor
672 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Development in Jackson

Well, briefly to qualify ... I reside 20 miles south of Jackson and recently retired GC (general contractor). The City of Jackson in itself is trying although it's a tough call and really not a viable location to invest. Jackson is broke. Even our police officers have to take comp time rather than overtime. The crime is BAD. Don't go out at night bad. There are many abandoned properties. There is a huge crack cocaine problem. There have been some attempts to revitalize the downtown area and it is struggling. People are fleeing Jackson for areas such as Madison, Flowood and Ridgeland. There is substantial growth in Flowood. If Jackson wasn't the capitol of Mississippi it would roll over and go belly up. Meanwhile other areas of Mississippi are doing quite well ... especially our gulf coast.

Flowood, MS
Level Contributor
186 posts
314 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Development in Jackson

I live in the Flowood area (just outside of Jackson) and I concur with Dionne. Flowood is booming and we have many new hotels here. There is constant and consistent growth. If you are looking for a place to stay in the Jackson area, I highly recommend Flowood's Holiday Inn Express, Hilton Garden Inn, or Hampton Inn. There are several hotels currently being built and should open within the next few months.

Reply to: Hotel Development in Jackson
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Jackson