We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A trip from Jackson to New Orleans this Sunday

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
215 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
A trip from Jackson to New Orleans this Sunday

I find myself making a stop in Jackson, MS this upcoming Saturday night before heading on to New Orleans on Sunday. I'm staying at the Old Capitol Inn in Jackson, but aside from that - no plans.

As this is very last minute, I would truly appreciate any insights as I scramble to figure out how best to use the time I have to see an area I have somehow never managed to visit before now.

I am currently thinking of a stop at the Windsor Ruins, and then on to Natchez. Perhaps a stop at the Longwood Plantation. Then a stop in Baton Rouge before arriving in New Orleans that night.

Would certainly welcome restaurant suggestions, either in Jackson, Natchez, Baton Rouge, or anywhere along the way. I do love seafood, but as I shall be in New Orleans all day Monday, I don't feel the need to seek out cajun/creole specifically during the Mississippi leg of my journey.

Thanks for any help.

Mentioned in this post
Jackson
Jackson
Mississippi
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
Old Capitol Inn
Old Capitol Inn
218 Reviews
Jackson, MS
Windsor Ruins
Windsor Ruins
249 Reviews
Port Gibson, MS
Natchez
Natchez
Mississippi
Longwood
Longwood
1,298 Reviews
Natchez, MS
Baton Rouge
Baton Rouge
Louisiana
Mississippi
Mississippi
United States
Walker's Drive In
€€€€, Contemporary
Lou's Full-Serv
€€ - €€€, American
Char Restaurant
€€€€, American
4 replies to this topic
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
33,511 posts
496 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A trip from Jackson to New Orleans this Sunday

Drive about 30 minutes west of Jackson to Vicksburg and see Civil war park, USS Cairo exhibit, murals along river and eat at 10 South.

You can then drive down to Natchez on Monday and see some plantations. Melrose operated by National park service as well as Longwood are excellent.

If you go thru Baton Rouge note the horrible traffic backups there.

Mentioned in this post
Jackson
Jackson
Mississippi
Vicksburg
Vicksburg
Mississippi
Natchez
Natchez
Mississippi
Longwood
Longwood
1,298 Reviews
Natchez, MS
Baton Rouge
Baton Rouge
Louisiana
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
160 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A trip from Jackson to New Orleans this Sunday

This is too much to do in one day! Natchez is 2.5hr drive from Jxn & Nola! Trust me, I've done it many times! Why stop in Jxn? Why not spend yr time keep driving down i55 south for 2.5 hr to Nola & spend time there? I'm from the area& that's what I would do -you are wasting your time in Jxn & Natchez compared to Nola. I would side trip to Natchez IF wanting to see antebellum homes!they r beautiful & worth the detour! But I would skip Jxn unless u just need a hotel to crash:)

Mentioned in this post
Natchez
Natchez
Mississippi
Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
215 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A trip from Jackson to New Orleans this Sunday

I think I may not have explained myself well. I'm spending several days in New Orleans. It just so happens that my route calls for me to be in Jackson on Saturday night and New Orleans on Sunday night. As I have a whole day (Sunday) to get from Jackson to New Orleans, I am just looking for suggestions on how best to fill this day.

Mentioned in this post
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
Jackson
Jackson
Mississippi
Oahu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,498 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A trip from Jackson to New Orleans this Sunday

I agree with PeachBelle to drive over to Vicksburg and take a drive through the military park, maybe have lunch somewhere downtown (Rusty's, for instance, or Walnut Hills).

When you leave, you could take hwy 27 back over to meet up w/ I-55 in Crystal Springs and drive it straight down into New Orleans (just did this drive a couple weekends ago, it's not bad).

Mentioned in this post
Vicksburg
Vicksburg
Mississippi
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
Reply to: A trip from Jackson to New Orleans this Sunday
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Jackson