We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Interesting things around Rochester?

Tennessee
Level Contributor
135 posts
Interesting things around Rochester?

I think we'll have 2 days there before the doctor visits start. Are there any neat renovated downtown areas, lakes with a picnic area and walking trail, historical sites, etc within an hours drive from Rochester? That's about all I can get out of him after driving over 1,000 miles to get there! And, I do think we'll make the trip one day to the Mall of America. I'll admit that I'd like to see it myself but he loves to go to the movies and I understand there is a theater in the mall that has full service food and beverage and plush seating. Any info on that would be great too!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,878 posts
1,186 reviews
1. Re: Interesting things around Rochester?

Lots to do....Root River for biking, hiking canoeing. Amish tours and cave tours. www.bluffcountry.com

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
18,285 posts
189 reviews
2. Re: Interesting things around Rochester?

Check out the Things to Do link to the left of your post. A few things listed.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
749 reviews
3. Re: Interesting things around Rochester?

Check out Lansboro or Redwing. Unfortunately there isn't much to actually do within Rochester when you click on the left "Things to Do" button. Some of those listed are actually buisnesses or are only available/open for group type tours or special events. You could feed the geese at Silverlake park and I have heard some good things regarding the Olmsted County Historical Museum.

Grand Marais...
Level Contributor
931 posts
30 reviews
4. Re: Interesting things around Rochester?

Whitewater State Park for hiking and scenery, if the parks are open when you come. (Should be next week). Plus a few other State Parks, a couple of caves.

Lanesboro is a nice town to check out, lots of shops, restaurants, nice biking/walking trail, (paved), or you can float the river, or fish, (trout).

Chicago, Illinois
2 posts
5. Re: Interesting things around Rochester?

Hi there ,

am planning to go to Minneapolis between July 25-29. I know the weather is extremely hot but anyway I planned for that time and I need to go. First is it better to spend my time in Minneapolis or go to northern part of the Minesota? Second is there awesome hotel that you can suggest me to get?

Thanks,

Mehdi-Chicago

Rochester, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
6. Re: Interesting things around Rochester?

If you are coming during the summer there are tours to the Mayowood Mansion and Plummer House. On Thursday in downtown Rochester there is an event called Thursdays on First which have crafts, music, and food. There is a winery about 10 miles outside Rochester called Salem Glen Winery.

7. Re: Interesting things around Rochester?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 02:19
Get answers to your questions about Rochester