We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help!! Minneapolis business trip in Jan 2012

Which Minneapolis hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Help!! Minneapolis business trip in Jan 2012

Hi

I am travelling to Minneapolis in mid Jan 2012 for 10 days. I have never been in the snow or such harsh winters ever. Can someone advise me of the clothes, socks & shoes that I need to carry there. I am going on business trip.

Thanks in advance.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,658 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help!! Minneapolis business trip in Jan 2012

As you might expect it depends on what you will be doing and how much you will be outside.

Mid-January is usually the coldest time of year here. You will need a warm outer layer (coat) and it's best to dress in layers underneath. And you should have some type of hat. A warm coat is necessary regardless of whether you would just be going from car to indoors and back. And a scarf comes in handy to keep the cold from running down the neckline of your jacket/shirt. (Plus they're quite fashionable right now)

Footwear is entirely dependent on how much time you will be outside. I regularly wear my normal shoes (and normal socks) even at the coldest times if all I'm doing is spending 10 minutes outside at a time. If more than that, you likely would need either warmer footwear or heavy socks.

Let us know what type of activities you might be doing outdoors while here and we can help more.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
16,877 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help!! Minneapolis business trip in Jan 2012

Minneapolis is well-equipped to handle minimal exposure to the outside elements and weather in many ways. There are indoor skyways at office buildings downtown and valet parking services at many hotels and restaurants.

The answer to the previous response about how much exposure to the outdoors you anticipate, is key. If it's minimal exposure and others are shuttling you around, then it's quite possible you can get by with minimal or no "extra" clothing beyond a sport coat (maybe gloves?). Why purchase or pack what you won't need. Sometimes I don't pack an overcoat at all.

But, if the answer is that you will spend time outdoors, scraping frost off of a rental car, for example - then, yes, more is needed.

Burnsville, MN
Level Contributor
539 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help!! Minneapolis business trip in Jan 2012

The skyways are not always open in the evenings, and there's always the possibility that you can find yourself outside 5-10 minutes in bitter cold weather. As mntoathens mentioned, this is historically our coldest time of the year when temperatures can easily hit -10 to -20 F, and exposed skin can lead to frostbite after only a few minutes. When temperatures are like that, I have a scarf wound around my face (over mouth and nose) so that I'm not directly breathing in that ultra cold air as well as clothing items mntoathens mentioned.

Maybe, you (and we as well) might get lucky, and the weather will be relatively mild. However, for a 10 day trip, I'd want to be prepared for weather changes.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
882 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help!! Minneapolis business trip in Jan 2012

If you will be staying in downtown Minneapolis as part of your trip, you may consider shopping for some warmer clothing at the downtown Target store. The store itself is connected by the Minneapolis "Skyway" system mentioned (the enclosed bridge system over city streets between most, but not all, downtown buildings. It will help you stay indoors more). Target is known for relatively quality yet relatively inexpensive clothing. You may decide to buy some clothing, knowing you will likely not need the clothing when you return home.

I would certainly expect to wear long-sleeve clothing regardless of length of time outside. Otherwise, the question on time outside others mentioned is a valid one.

minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,161 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help!! Minneapolis business trip in Jan 2012

I would agree with getting clothes while you're here, although you should have a coat/scarf/gloves of some sort with you upon arrival. We've been having a very mild winter. January is usually our coldest most bitter month, but it may very well continue to be warmer and dryer than usual. Macy's is another good place to shop, as they'll have a lot of sales going on. And Marshalls is my goto place, always great variety & prices, although spotty on stock. If you can get a hotel connected to the skyway, do. It's so convenient and although a little harder to find your way around, it's better than walking everywhere outside. Yes, we are equipped for our scary winters! And if you are driving, park inside as much as possible, enclosed garages recommended.

Mankato, Minnesota
Level Contributor
4 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help!! Minneapolis business trip in Jan 2012

UGGs, layers of clothing, sensible shoes and a smile to deflect the Minnesota nice :>)

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
10 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help!! Minneapolis business trip in Jan 2012

Like others said...if you're only outside to go to/from a car, just wear a jacket, gloves and a hat. A scarf too if it's windy.

If you'll be out longer, wool socks are nice, dress in layers including underarmor/long underwear.

8. Re: Help!! Minneapolis business trip in Jan 2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 January 2013, 10:17
Get answers to your questions about Minneapolis