We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dog boarding?

Detroit Lakes...
1 post
Dog boarding?

Hi- we are trying to find a place in/near Grand Portage to board our dog for a day trip (8:30am-2pm) to Isle Royale next week. We will be camping in Silver Bay and plan to drive up to catch the ferry on the morning of our trip. We have a dog...but nowhere to put him so that we can do the island! ANY suggestions/ideas/hints for boarding him for the day. Anywhere between Silver Bay and Grand Portage would work. Thanks!

6 replies to this topic
Burnsville, MN
Level Contributor
539 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: Dog boarding?

I was curious so I did a bit of googling. The North Shore is so dog friendly that there aren't many places in NE MN. I went to the website http://www.dogboarding.com/minnesota and found three locations in Duluth and one in Two Harbors. I also didn't find anything on pet sitters at sittercity from Silver Bay to Grand Portage.

Ann Arbor, MI
Destination Expert
for Michigan, Ann Arbor
Level Contributor
2,186 posts
176 reviews
2. Re: Dog boarding?

Hi! Did you eventually find anywhere to board your dog? We are looking for the same thing for the summer of 2015 so that we can at least take a day trip over to IR. I haven't found much.

We thought about renting a dog-friendly motel room and crating them while we're away, but I don't like that option at all (even though they are occasionally crated that long at home).

Burnsville, MN
Level Contributor
539 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Dog boarding?

This time when I checked the dog boarding site I came up with three locations in Grand Portage so you might want to check them out. Most hotels/motels that allow dogs usually require a human is with them in the room.

Ann Arbor, MI
Destination Expert
for Michigan, Ann Arbor
Level Contributor
2,186 posts
176 reviews
4. Re: Dog boarding?

Hi! Thanks for this update. I have never used this site to find care for our dogs. Do you have any experience with using this to find boarding? Looking at it for my own city in MI, it has some places I know and would trust and some I've never heard of at all which worries me.

Burnsville, MN
Level Contributor
539 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: Dog boarding?

Afraid I don't have any personal experience with them, but I suggest you check with BBB, and google for any reviews, and if you don't come up with anything, I'd suggest checking with them for references. You have every right to take precautions with your precious dogs.

Montreal, Canada
1 post
6. Re: Dog boarding?

Generally, I suggest taking a look at www.vakazoo.com. They will help you find boarding accommodation and make the booking.

Reply to: Dog boarding?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Grand Portage