We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ticket options for Grossraum Nurnberg, VGN

Solna, Sweden
Level Contributor
890 posts
124 reviews
123 helpful votes
Ticket options for Grossraum Nurnberg, VGN
Save

I will be staying around Christmas in Nurnberg, 5 nights then in Gössweinstein 3 nights.

I will need to use public transport with Verkehr Grossraum Nurnberg, and I am struggling to understand the ticket options.

I think, that probably Nurnberg itself is walkable. Maybe I'll need to do some occasional metro / tram or bus trip.

I might be doing some excursion outside Nurnberg also,

Then I'll be needing to travel to Gössweinstein, Then probably travel to and from some neighbouring village. Finally travel back to Nurnberg.

And I am trying to figure out if there is some multiday card on the local transport, to avoid having to fiddle with single tickets, but should also make economical sense compared to single tickets.

I have studied the VGN website, and trying to understand the somewhat complicated ticket system. And my conclusion is that there is no multiday card that makes sense from an economical point of view. My best option would be to use single tickets, and maybe a day card for 1 - 2 zones on some days.

Am I making the right conclusion?

Or have I missed something?

4 replies to this topic
Solna, Sweden
Level Contributor
890 posts
124 reviews
123 helpful votes
1. Re: Ticket options for Grossraum Nurnberg, VGN
Save

Just bumping the post. Does anyone have an answer to this?

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
44,588 posts
2. Re: Ticket options for Grossraum Nurnberg, VGN
Save

There is indeed no multiple day ticket which makes sense for you.

For day trips best will be use the TagesTicket Solo/Plus day tickets.

https://www.vgn.de/en/tickets/all-day-ticket-solo/

https://www.vgn.de/en/tickets/all-day-ticket-plus/

Note that these tickets are also good for Sunday if bought on a Saturday (i.e. become a weekend ticket). Thus choose the price level that also your plans for Sunday will be covered.

With only a single trip on a day a single trip ticket will be of course the best option.

VGN journey planer will tell you about connections, price levels and fares

https://www.vgn.de/en/

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
6,483 posts
15 reviews
16 helpful votes
3. Re: Ticket options for Grossraum Nurnberg, VGN
Save

I would not buy a multiday card. The reason for this is that the ticket to Gößweinstein will be more expensive than a ticket within Nürnberg itself. On the other hand, single tickets don't really make sense either unless you know that it will really just be this one trip (for instance, if you're only going to the airport and that's it).

So what I'd do is by a day ticket for the right number of zones on each day.

Yes, inner Nürnberg is walkable. That would be the area inside the city walls, between the train station and the castle. But even so - after a day's walking, you may want to take the subway to return to your hotel in the evening. And maybe you have plans to see some places that are not walkable any more, for instance the Nazi party rally ground. (Tram stop: Doku-Zentrum, 8 stops from the central station).

Solna, Sweden
Level Contributor
890 posts
124 reviews
123 helpful votes
4. Re: Ticket options for Grossraum Nurnberg, VGN
Save

I suddenly found this old thread that I started.

Well, I think that I ended up using single tickets.

One other comment, is that I made a lot of research into transport options to Gössweinstein on Christmas day. And I found nothing indicating that buses to Gössweinstein would not be running on Christmas day. But no one answered on the number to call for the on request bus. So, I got myself to Forchheim and then the cute little train to Ebermanstadt, but of cause, there was no bus on Christmas day.

Not really surprising.

Well, I ended up phoning my hotel in Gössweinstein and they came and picked me up.

Reply to: Ticket options for Grossraum Nurnberg, VGN
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Middle Franconia
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Ireland. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.