We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Metro Transit

North Dakota
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Topic
Metro Transit

We will be staying at Hyatt Place Bloomington a couple days in July to go to a Twins game.

How close is the Metro Transit line from the Hyatt?

Thanks,

BJ

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Metro Transit

According to the hotel website, they provide a shuttle to both the airport and the Mall of American, where you could get the lightrail to the Metrodome for the game. The Bloomington Central Station and the 28th Avenue Station are actually closer to the hotel, well within walking distance, although I don't know as to the possibility of actually doing so. The streets in that area aren't really set up for pedestrian traffic, but the Bloomington Central Station can't be more than about a half mile walk. If you don't want to hassle with waiting for the hotel shuttle to get you around, I would suggest contacting the hotel directly to see if they think it is possible to walk from the hotel to the nearest lightrail station.

Here is a link to a list of the lightrail stations:

metrotransit.org/rail/station_detail.asp

And here is a link to a map with your hotel location:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=7800+international+drive+55425&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&split=0&gl=us&ei=DFlBSrmpKJKOsgOlnKH2CA&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=image&resnum=1

Hope this helps.

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,577 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Metro Transit

I believe I've seen the Hyatt Place on 494, and it's not far from the MegaMall (1/2 mile?), but I wouldn't want to walk it. The big hurdle is trying to get over/under hiway Cedar 77.

When you check into the hotel, find out if it's a scheduled timed shuttle from your hotel to the MegaMall, and if you need to be on a reserved list.

Program the hotel's number into your cel, so you can call and request a pick up while on the light rail, or a taxi would just be a couple of bucks back to your hotel.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Metro Transit

Downtown, you are correct in that the Hyatt Place is very close to 494 (the official address is International Drive), but it is between 24th Avenue and 34th Avenue, east of MOA. Crossing Cedar does not come into play when trying to get from the Hyatt Place to a lightrail station. As I stated in my earlier post, Hyatt Place is certainly close to the Bloomington Central station, it's just a matter of how pedestrian friendly the streets east of the Mall are. But there is no concern about dealing with Cedar Avenue.

If it is indeed walkable, I should think that would be much easier than waiting to be taken around by the hotel shuttle.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
882 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Metro Transit

I just looked online at Google Maps of the area and used their "street scene" view to try to refresh my memory on sidewalks and such. It appeared (though I don't guarantee) there are sidewalks on all the streets near the hotel. Only concern might be is knowing where to turn as it's mostly office complex in this area so finding the station from the sidewalk may be an issue. Others have suggested calling the hotel. I would call and ask them about directions on walking from the hotel to the station if you choose not to take the shuttle and perhaps press them for directions...I bet they'll suggest the shuttle offhand. Obviously, if you can get the hotel shuttle conveniently, tbere's no particular reason to not take the shuttle, but just keep your options open.

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,577 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Metro Transit

Rocco, you're right - it's East of the MegaMall. I thought I kept seeing it closer to Lyndale and all the construction going on at that exit off 494.

It definately looks walkable to either MegaMall, or that Bloomington Transit Station - very convenient.

thx

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
46 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Metro Transit

I work right next to the Bloomington Central Station, you can absolutely walk to that station from your hotel without a problem. If you take a look at the satellite view from the above link you'll see there is a sidewalk along International Drive. Follow that south, cross American Blvd and continue on the road that leads to the big parking lot. The train station is between the parking log and the office building.

7. Re: Metro Transit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 December 2009, 05:19
Get answers to your questions about Bloomington
More Bloomington Topics