We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bihar Itinerary Help

London, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Bihar Itinerary Help

Hello, looking for some help. Me and my friend are arriving Patna on Friday night at 8:20pm. We were thinking to stay in Patna to check out Sonepur Mela in Sonepur for the next day (Saturday) then drive to Nalanda and Ragir and driving to Bodhgaya to stay for two nights. Before taking the train to Varanasi. Does this sound like a good trip? Does Sonepur Mela have a full day's worth to see? Should we fit Kushingar after Sonepur? Any tips helps us greatly!

13 replies to this topic
M s
Bodh Gaya, India
Destination Expert
for Patna, Rajgir, Bodh Gaya, Hajipur, Gaya, Bihar
Level Contributor
1,037 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bihar Itinerary Help

Hi,

seems quite well,

Only I fear you won't able to cover KushiNagar with Sonepur mela as its quite far and you have another plan to move towards Rajgir, Nalanda....

With Sonepur mela you can cover Vaishali , and then you can proceed rest of your above plans.

My recommendation give atleast full day only for Rajgir, it is beautiful town and lot more to see , I am sure you both love it.

Have a taxi arranged for this tour till Bodhgaya so you can able to save time on travel and cover more places.

Have good trip

London, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bihar Itinerary Help

Thank you for your help. Wondering if we can go straight to Bodhgaya from Patna Airport with 8:20pm arrival. Do you know if it's possible?

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,736 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bihar Itinerary Help

It is only just above 100kms or so. You should be able to reach in under three hours on the road. Train service may not be too active in those hours, although I am sure you will get a train or two.

You will reach Bodhgaya very early morning (really nighttime) next day.

Muzaffarpur, India
Destination Expert
for Sikkim, Manali, New Delhi, Darjeeling, Bihar, Katra, Udaipur, Patna
Level Contributor
14,191 posts
344 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bihar Itinerary Help

Patna Hatia Ex is at 21:30 and Ganga Damodar is at 23:15 but will drop you at Gaya around 12:30 and 01:15.

London, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bihar Itinerary Help

Thank you all so much! We will most likely take the train then!

M s
Bodh Gaya, India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,037 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bihar Itinerary Help

Yes It is very Much possible it takes 2.5 to maximum 3 hrs

London, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bihar Itinerary Help

Our new itinerary is looking like staying in patna tonight and going to Sonepur Mela on Saturday. Then depending on ease we will either go to Nalanda or go straight to Bodhgaya.

M s
Bodh Gaya, India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,037 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bihar Itinerary Help

I would recommend go via Nalanda

See Nalanda on the way, it take 1 to 1.5hrs

If you have plan to stay Rajgir its awesome, else proceed for Bodhgaya.

London, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bihar Itinerary Help

That's really helpful. Thank you M! Do you know estimated transport cost from Patna to Bodhgaya via Nalanda? Also, would it be possible to do this in one day if we see Sonepur Mela in the morning and then drive to Nalanda?

M s
Bodh Gaya, India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,037 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bihar Itinerary Help

If you want to do Sonepur Mela and go for Bodhgaya via Nalanda then you can do it but you may miss to see Nalanda as its closes 5pm.

If you reach Nalanda around 5pm you can get entry and see the Nalanda ruins, 6.30 if you start from Naland you may reach 8.30-9pmpm Gaya/Bodhgaya.

I would advise to plan your Sonpur early and save time for Nalanda , drive to Rajgir and stay over night, Rajgir is beautiful town and I am sure you both like it.In morning see some places at Rajgir and move to Bodhgaya.

Reply to: Bihar Itinerary Help
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted