We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The traffic in Bodhgaya

Penang, Malaysia
Level Contributor
27 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
The traffic in Bodhgaya

Safety first. Take care when crossing the road in Bodhgaya as cars, motorbike, tuk tuk, trishaws, bicycles, criss cross the road, weaving in and out of the traffic. I was rammed from behind while walking in a dirt road on the way to the temple, by 2 young Indian boys on a big motorcycle (between the ages of 8 to 10 years old) in the rear. Luckily I escaped unhurt and not even a scratch.

Then, there was this old Thai woman I met at the Bodhi Tree who fell from a tuk tuk and sustained a fracture of the lower wrist most probably fracture of the radius or ulna and was on below elbow Plaster of Paris cast. The cost of the treatment was more than 4000 Rupees and she doesn't have money to pay for the treatment, fortunately a Thai well wisher paid half of the costs, 2000 rupees to subsidize her. It is expensive to get sick in India while you are on a Pilgrimage.

Sunrise starts early at 5.30 am and by 6am it was already bright. Nightfall starts at 6pm and by 6.30 pm it was already dark in Bodhgaya. There is inadequate street lighting in town and walking back home to your hotel or guest house is dangerous as it was pitch dark and you might need a torch light. The best option is to take an Auto rickshaw. I always make it a point to be in my room by 8pm in my guest house.

Is it genuine cow's milk or Water Buffalo milk?

I developed an allergy and severe itchiness all over the body so much so I couldn't sleep at night without scratching. I do not know what I had eaten to produce such itch. My Indian friend suggested that since I like "Chai" milk tea, I might have consumed Water Buffalo milk and not genuine cows milk as it was cheaper. I went to see the doctor the following day because of the intense itch and it cost me more than 500 rupees but still the itch was there. So please take care of your health and safety as it is expensive to get sick in Bodhgaya.

4 replies to this topic
M s
Bodh Gaya, India
Destination Expert
for Patna, Rajgir, Bodh Gaya, Hajipur, Gaya, Bihar
Level Contributor
1,037 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The traffic in Bodhgaya

I guess itching my be from dust and sun?

Level Contributor
138 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: The traffic in Bodhgaya

Thats a very good suggestion from you.. But yeah we will take precautions

Penang, Malaysia
Level Contributor
27 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The traffic in Bodhgaya

Yeah it could be dust and the sun, I still don't know the cause. My son is ok. Maybe I'm allergic to something.

M s
Bodh Gaya, India
Destination Expert
for Patna, Rajgir, Bodh Gaya, Hajipur, Gaya, Bihar
Level Contributor
1,037 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The traffic in Bodhgaya

I guess so as your son is all well

Reply to: The traffic in Bodhgaya
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted