We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Milwaukee to Mackinaw Island to Flint, Michigan.

Muscle Shoals...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Milwaukee to Mackinaw Island to Flint, Michigan.

My husband and I are flying in to Milwaukee, traveling to Door County to Mackinaw Island and flying out of Flint Michigan with a possible stop in Traverse City. We are open to any suggestions of other places to go, the best bed and breakfast or unique places to stay, sites we don't want to miss and great places to eat. We are renting a care for 6 days. We love the outdoors, hiking, drinking wine and beer, meeting new people, history, biking etc. Suggestions? We are going on August 22.

Mentioned in this post
Flint
Flint
Michigan
5 replies to this topic
North Muskegon...
Level Contributor
998 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Milwaukee to Mackinaw Island to Flint, Michigan.

On the way is Fayette Historic Park,Kitchikipi Springs,Cut River Bridge along US2 in Michigan.

Then you need to decide whether to travel down Lake Michigan or Lake Huron on your way to Flint.

US31 has numerous sites to see including Sleeping Bear Dunes while US23 has many small towns.

Edited: 12 August 2017, 21:39
Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
902 posts
919 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Milwaukee to Mackinaw Island to Flint, Michigan.

Definitely stop at Kitch-it-kippi spring which is close to Manistique while driving through the UP. Upper Hand Brewery near Escanaba should be a good stop although I haven't been to this Brewery. The Tumnel of Trees along M119 from Cross Village to Harbor Village is a scenic drive. Continue onto Petoskey with lots of good restaurants like Chandlers and City Park Grill along with a couple of good breweries. How much time from Mackinac Island until your outbound flight from Flint? Frankenmuth is a good place to stay your last night before departing Flint

Little Rock
Level Contributor
3,128 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Milwaukee to Mackinaw Island to Flint, Michigan.

You're flying up on August 22nd, what day and time do you fly out of Flint?

Clio, Michigan
Level Contributor
194 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Milwaukee to Mackinaw Island to Flint, Michigan.

Keep in mind if you are traveling south through Michigan to Bishop Airport in Flint on a Sunday, traffic will be slow. Allow plenty of time.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,995 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Milwaukee to Mackinaw Island to Flint, Michigan.

You have been getting a lot of good advice.

Deerhead Inn in Mackinaw City is a great B&B. Perfect location and excellent breakfast.

You may get many recommendations for the best restaurant on Mackinac Island and there are several I like, but the one I absolutely include is a breakfast and lunch place called the Chuckwagon. While you are on the Island, hire a private guided carriage tour. You will get to know an Island resident and see and learn things that they never get on the mass produced tours.

Mackinaw City as a new brew pub, Bière de Mac Brew Works. I wouldn't go there for a meal, but they are a decent place for appetizers and a beer tasting flight.

Before doing the Tunnel of Trees, Legs Inn is memorable and has great Polish Food.

Reply to: Milwaukee to Mackinaw Island to Flint, Michigan.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Mackinaw City